The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 23, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Presidential privacy, the Stalin anaology, etc.
- TRB: Strange Allies, p. 6
Isolationists of the left and right join forces against NATO expansion
- School Spirit, p. 7
American students' math and physics scores lag behind the rest of the world's. So why i...
- Notebook, p. 8
Iraq reneges, Time parties down, etc.
- Rosie the Riveter, pp. 8-9
Monica Lewinsky's newest booster has strong views about using sex to get ahead in the w...
- Double Dipper, pp. 10-11
What's more shocking than Ken Starr's seeming conflicts of interest? The fact that they...
- The Hard Questions: Going Public, pp. 12-13
The investigation of the president's private life is unseemly. But he brought it on him...
- Cybercheats, p. 14
Inside the new Internet term-paper bazaar
- Missile Mystery, pp. 15-16
A new theory on one of the enduring puzzles of the cold war: Why did the Soviet Union r...
- Hype Dreams, p. 17
Why baby-boomer pundits have fallen in love with Princeton's basketball team
- Iraqracy, pp. 18-19
The idea of a democratic Iraq is not as far-fetched as everybody thinks
- Injection Rejection, pp. 20-23
The bad news is that a handful of self-proclaimed experts say vaccinations may actually...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Cruelties (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
Men with Guns (1997 Film), by John Sayles
- Men with Guns (1997 Film) by John Sayles
- Funny Games (1998 Film) by Michael Haneke
[+] Why Is Light Given? (4 Reviews) , pp. 26-32
Johannes Brahms: A Biography, by Jan Swafford
- Johannes Brahms: A Biography by Jan Swafford
- Johannes Brahms: Life and Letters by Styra Avins and Johannes Brahms
- Late Idyll by Reinhold Brinkmann
- Brahms: The Four Symphonies by Walter Frisch
[+] The Uses of Illiteracy (Review) , pp. 33-34
The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink
- The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
- Sharon, p. 35
[+] The Lucid Moment (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-41
Mysticism for Beginners, by Adam Zagajewski
- Mysticism for Beginners by Adam Zagajewski
- Two Cities by Adam Zagajewski
- Cambridge Diarist: Sane Bombers, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Photo