The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 16, 1998 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Big-spending liberals, Chuck Hagel's agenda, etc.
- TRB: Managed Careless, pp. 6-8
The return of Harry and Louise
- Saddam Wins, p. 9
Why Kofi Annan's American-sponsored pact with the dictator of Iraq may be the biggest d...
- Notebook, p. 10
Starr v. Blumenthal, attention Karl Marx shoppers, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Getting Personal, p. 11
Morality matters in politics---as long as it's actually related to politics
- Toxic Shock, pp. 12-14
The U.N. settlement means Saddam's biological weapons arsenal will likely survive. Be a...
- Ohio Postcard: Anti-war Zone, pp. 15-16
A weekend with the protesters who broke up the Clinton administration's town meeting on...
- I Pry, pp. 17-18
There is no sound legal principle behind the fishing expedition into sexual history tha...
- Organized Chaos, pp. 19-20
This month. 600 million voters will participate peacefully in India's national election...
- The Big Debate, pp. 21-25
The fight over the Republican Party's future boils down to whether big power---public o...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Irishment (2 Reviews) , p. 26
The Break (1998 Film), by Robert Dornhelm
- The Break (1998 Film) by Robert Dornhelm
- Bernard Shaw on Cinema by Bernard F. Dukore
[+] The Humanitarian Illusion (Review) , pp. 27-31
The Warrior's Honor, by Michael Ignatieff
- The Warrior's Honor by Michael Ignatieff
[+] The Big Sleep (Review) , pp. 32-34
Night Train, by Martin Amis
- Night Train by Martin Amis
[+] Exile and the Kingdom (Review) , pp. 35-37
Messianism, Zionism, and Jewish Religious Radicalism, by Aviezer Ravitzky
- Messianism, Zionism, and Jewish Religious Radicalism by Aviezer Ravitzky
- Las Hilanderas, pp. 38-41
- Washington Diarist: The Egg Women, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Illustration