The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 9, 1998 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Religion in Iran, equality in America, etc.
- TRB: Mission Possible, p. 6
Enough dithering about Iraq. Get on with the bombing
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell, p. 7
Why the Secret Service shouldn't be subpoenaed
- Notebook, p. 8
Berger's blooper, census samplers, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Dumb Bombs, p. 9
The futility of our coming campaign against Iraq
- Rebel Radio: The FCC's pointless crusade against unlicensed broadcasters, p. 10
- Georgia Dispatch: Close Races, pp. 11-13
In the heart of Dixie, the ban on racially drawn congressional districts has produced a...
- Language Barrier, pp. 14-15
Bilingual education may be a disaster in California, but a ballot initiative to reform ...
- Flawed Fund, pp. 16-17
The case against IMF austerity
- No Contest, pp. 18-19
Indonesia's economic crisis has stoked middle-class anger. So why is President Suharto'...
- Setting Sun, pp. 20-21
What's more disquieting than Japan on the rise? Japan in decline
- After the Tsunami, pp. 22-27
It's a staple of political theory that prosperity leads to democratization. But, in a f...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: One Day in 1923 (Review) , p. 28
Mrs. Dalloway (1997 Film), by Marleen Gorris
- Mrs. Dalloway (1997 Film) by Marleen Gorris
- On Art: Bring in the Amateurs, pp. 29-32
The Impressionists expose the poverty of the contemporary art world
[+] The Art in the Air (Review) , pp. 33-37
Impressionism: Reflections and Perceptions, by Meyer Schapiro
- Impressionism: Reflections and Perceptions by Meyer Schapiro
[+] What Korea Teachers (2 Reviews) , pp. 38-46
Korea's Place in the Sun, by Bruce Cumings
- Korea's Place in the Sun by Bruce Cumings
- The Two Koreas by Don Oberdorfer
[+] Making the Grade (Review) , p. 47
Jefferson's Children, by Leon Botstein
- Jefferson's Children by Leon Botstein
- The Gods Leaving, pp. 48-49
- Sarajevo Diarist: If Pigs Could Fly, pp. 50-52
- Cover, Illustration