The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 15, 1998 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Two debates about Israeli history, communism in America, etc.
- TRB: Bad Ban, pp. 6-8
Why is the anti-abortion lobby going after organizatoins that have dramatically reduced...
- Barry Bows Out, p. 9
Washington, D.C.'s mayor bids an overdue adieu
- Notebook, p. 10
Surplus scares, DeLay tactics, etc.
- The Hard Questions: The Right Rights, p. 11
Fighting for universal human rights is indeed judgmental but also necessary
- On the Hill: Talked to Death, p. 12
The Republicans pull out a new weapon to kill campaign finance reform: democracy
- Trenton Postcard: People's Prep, pp. 13-15
New Jersey brings some Exeter-style education to the inner city---and, low and behold, ...
- Unsilenced, pp. 16-17
Indonesia's long-repressed citizens recover their voices
- A True Test, pp. 18-20
Critics say the SAT puts minorities at a disadvantage in college admissions, but withou...
- Party Crashers, pp. 21-25
If you believe in the balanced budget amendment, school prayer, and capital punishment-...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Pilgrim's Progress (Review) , p. 26
The Horse Whisperer (1998 Film), by Robert Redford
- The Horse Whisperer (1998 Film) by Robert Redford
[+] The Mouse That Roared (Review) , pp. 27-33
The Magic Kingdom, by Steven Watts
- The Magic Kingdom by Steven Watts
[+] Poetical Correctness (Review) , pp. 34-36
World Poetry, by Katharine Washburn and John S. Major
- World Poetry by Katharine Washburn and John S. Major
[+] The Pen and the Mask (Review) , pp. 37-39
Stendhal, by Jonathan Keates
- Stendhal by Jonathan Keates
- A Phonebook Cover Hermes of the Nineteen-Forties, pp. 40-41
- Cambridge Diarist: Habibie's Hour, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Illustration