The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 19, 1998 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Alec Baldwin strikes back, Republicans in the military, etc.
- TRB: No Problem, p. 6
Conservatives have a new answer to growing income inequality: deny that it exists
- Gender Mending, p. 7
A blue-ribbon commission discovers the solution to sexual harassment in the military: s...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
A plot against TRN, Arafat's real estate, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Branded, p. 10
Why government is not like a box of cornflakes
- Johannesburg Dispatch: Parting Shot, p. 11
Nelson Mandela's valedictory message to South African whites: don't get too comfy
- Tehran Dispatch: Mullah Melee, pp. 12-14
Iran's new president seems to want a more open society and warmer relations with the U....
- Reform Placebo, pp. 15-16
Republicans and Democrats agree that Clinton's new health care proposals are nothing mo...
- Calling Mr. X, pp. 17-19
The Pentagon's national defense strategy calls for enough troops, planes, and tanks to ...
- D.C. Confidential, pp. 20-23
The police in the nation's capital were once a top-notch force. But under Mayor Marion ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: New York Jews (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
Deconstructing Harry (1997 Film), by Woody Allen
- Deconstructing Harry (1997 Film) by Woody Allen
- Arguing the World (1998 Film) by Joseph Dorman
[+] Innocence and Experience (3 Reviews) , pp. 26-33
French Children of the Holocaust, by Serge Klarsfeld
- French Children of the Holocaust by Serge Klarsfeld
- Fragments: Memories of a Wartime Childhood by Binjamin Wilkomirski
- The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara by David I. Kertzer
- Contemporaries and Ancestors, p. 34
[+] The Ego and the Ibid (Review) , pp. 35-37
The Footnote: A Curious History, by Anthony Grafton
- The Footnote: A Curious History by Anthony Grafton
[+] The Good Father (Review) , pp. 38-41
George Washington: Writings, by John H. Rhodehamel and George Washington
- George Washington: Writings by John H. Rhodehamel and George Washington
- Washington Diarist: State of Nature, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Illustration