The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 23, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Bennett and Cameron v. Sullivan, etc.
- TRB: Who Cares?, p. 6
Republicans say they would love to help all the needy parents with child care, just so ...
- Smoke Signals, p. 7
Using tobacco money to pay for new social programs could make Clinton look like a geniu...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Albright's mission, Karla Faye Tucker's demise, etc.
- On the Hill: Support GroupP, p. 10
Why the Congressional Black Caucus has embraced the scandal-scarred president as one of...
- Washington Scene: Plotters, p. 11
My weekend infiltrating the vast right-wing conspiracy
- Scandalized, pp. 12-14
When it comes to covering presidential peccadillos, the press always goes for the quick...
- Penny Wise, p. 15
President Clinton's pledge to save the surplus for Social Security was masterful, both ...
- The Hard Questions: Legal Limits, p. 16
Why law and policy alone are not enough to stop moral decay
- The Odd Couple, pp. 17-18
Russian Foreign Minister Yevgeny Primakov fancies himself quite the peacemaker. Unfortu...
- The Reckoning, pp. 19-20
For the United States and Iraq, it's deja vu all over again. This time, we should finis...
- Plan of Attack, pp. 21-23
Bombing Saddam probably can't destroy him or his arsenal. But it might speed the overth...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Stargazing, Pubcrawling (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
The Gingerbread Man (1998 Film), by Robert Altman
- The Gingerbread Man (1998 Film) by Robert Altman
- Nil by Mouth (1997 Film) by Gary Oldman
[+] White Magic in America (Review) , pp. 26-33
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen R. Covey
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
[+] The Know-It-All (Review) , pp. 34-37
How the Mind Works, by Steven Pinker
- How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker
[+] Life as Memoir (2 Reviews) , pp. 38-39
Scratches, by Michel Leiris
- Scratches by Michel Leiris
- Scraps by Michel Leiris
- Catalpa, pp. 40-41
- New Haven Diarist: Facing Facts, pp. 42-44