The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 9, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Managing health care, harassing men, etc.
- TRB: Castro Inconvertible, p. 6
Why the only policy worse than maintaining the U.S. embargo against Cuba would be lifti...
- Sex, Lies, and Audiotape, p. 7
Sorting out the latest Clinton scandal
- Notebook, p. 8
The Pope absolves Saddam, the Times smears Bibi, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Bad Seed, p. 9
A would-be cloner's moral hauteur
- On the Hill: Hagelianism, pp. 10-11
Why is the junior senator from Nebraska suddley so interested in killing the global war...
- Non-Census, pp. 12-13
Republicans v. statistical accuracy
- Chicago Postcard: True Blues, pp. 14-15
How the Blues Brothers destroyed the Windy City's musical heritage
- Old Faithful, pp. 16-17
Fidel Castro and his foes want the Pope as an ally. But John Paul II is fighting a batt...
- Pilgrim's Promise, pp. 18-19
The Pope won't spark a revolution in Cuba. But his visit might energize Cuba's incipien...
- Money for Nothing, pp. 20-22
The deficit may be gone, but liberalism is still in trouble
- Reactivated, pp. 23-25
President Clinton's latest policy proposals may look modest on paper. But taken togethe...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Death, A Devolution (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Mother and Son (1998 Film), by Aleksandr Sokurov
- Mother and Son (1998 Film) by Aleksandr Sokurov
- The Boxer (1997 Film) by Jim Sheridan
[+] Homage to Varian Fry (Review) , pp. 27-29
A real and unlikely hero
- Surrender on Demand by Varian Fry
[+] The Return of Che Guevara (3 Reviews) , pp. 30-35
Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life, by Jon Lee Anderson
- Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
- Companero: The Life and Death of Che Guevara by Jorge G. Castaneda
- Guevara, Also Known as Che by Paco Ignacio Taibo II
- Fever, p. 36
[+] Life & Times of John C. (Review) , pp. 37-41
Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life, by J.M. Coetzee
- Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life by J.M. Coetzee
- Washington Diarist: Epistle to the Hebrews, pp. 42-44