The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 7, 1998 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: Quota Kings, pp. 4-5
Congressional Republicans embrace divesity
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Hateful speech, expensive speech, etc.
- No Hazard, p. 9
After Mitch, pardoning Central America's debts is the compassionate thing to do. It als...
- Notebook, p. 10
Smart words on Malysia, empty words on Stokely Carmichael, etc.
- Show of Farce, pp. 10-11
Inspections don't work well. Sanctions don't work at all. If you want to destroy Saddam...
- Rising Up, pp. 12-13
Why support for rebel efforts to oust Saddam is America's only serious strategic option...
- Adjunct U, pp. 14-15
The contracting-out fad has hit university faculties, and that's bad news for professor...
- Fuerth in Line, pp. 16-17
As Al Gore's chief foreign policy advisor, Leon Fuerth is already a powerful behind-the...
- Turley's Gig, pp. 18-19
Will a pundit-of-the-moment fade with Bimbroglio? Over his dead body
- A Man's Place, pp. 20-25
What a controversial custody dispute tells us about families, fathers, and the true mea...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: In the Midst of Life (2 Reviews) , pp. 26-27
Meet Joe Black (1998 Film), by Martin Brest
- Meet Joe Black (1998 Film) by Martin Brest
- The Siege (1998 Film) by Edward Zwick
[+] The Influence of Anxiety (2 Reviews) , pp. 28-31
The Nurture Assumption, by Judith Rich Harris
- The Nurture Assumption by Judith Rich Harris
- Three Seductive Ideas by Jerome Kagan
- Signs and Portents, pp. 32-35
[+] Hell and Humanitarianism (Review) , pp. 36-41
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families, by Philip Gour...
- We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families by Philip Gourevitch
[+] The Ancient Postmoderns (Review) , pp. 42-45
Ka, by Roberto Calasso
- Ka by Roberto Calasso
- New Haven Diarist: A Super Market, pp. 46-48
- Cover, Photograph