The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 10, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Gender battles, the trouble with trade, etc.
- TRB: Unprotected, p. 6
Why we'll all be sorry the Secret Service was forced to testify
- Cash Crop, p. 7
Why subsidies won't solve this summer's farm crisis
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Apologies in Cambodia, Gingrich on Bimbroglio, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Back to Schools, p. 10
The progressives are right about education. So are the conservatives
- There Yugo Again, p. 11
U.S. policymakers figure they can count on Serb President Slobodan Milosevic at least t...
- UFO Stories, p. 12
Why everyone's favorite factoid about Social Security reform is bunk
- Beyond the Grave, pp. 13-14
Why burying Russia's last czar may not help Russia's new democracy
- On the Hill: Mangling Care, p. 15
Republicans say they really, really want to protect you from profit-obsessed HMOs. Befo...
- Mighty Mice, pp. 16-18
A biologically engineered rodent illustrates why the problems with patenting genetic ma...
- Up In Schmoke, pp. 19-23
When Kurt Schmoke became mayor a decade agao, Baltimore's white establishmnet believed ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Felon, A Fellini (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
The Thief (1997 Film), by Pavel Chukhraj
- The Thief (1997 Film) by Pavel Chukhraj
- Nights of Cabiria (1957 Film) by Federico Fellini
[+] The Road from Seneca Falls (4 Reviews) , pp. 26-29
In the School of Anti-Slavery, 1840 to 1866, by Ann D. Gordon, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, ...
- In the School of Anti-Slavery, 1840 to 1866 by Ann D. Gordon, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Susan B. Anthony, ...
- Harriot Stanton Blatch and the Winning of Woman Suffrage by Ellen Carol DuBois
- Woman Suffrage and the Origins of Liberal Feminism in the United States, 1820-1920 by Suzanne M. Marilley
- Other Powers by Barbara Goldsmith
- Pity, pp. 30-31
- Power of Speech, pp. 32-33
- The Past, pp. 34-37
[+] Karma Chameleon (Review) , pp. 38-41
Prisoners of Shangri-La, by Donald S. Lopez, Jr.
- Prisoners of Shangri-La by Donald S. Lopez, Jr.
- Traveler's Diarist: Festival, pp. 42-44