The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 6, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
An environmentalist chides Easterbrook, a rabbi scolds Sandel, etc.
- TRB: Unslick Willey, p. 6
The president groped a staffer and lied about it. Is that a crime?
- With Burning Anxiety, p. 7
The Catholic Church's insufficient apology
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Elimating the tax code, the Clinton-Mao analogy, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Unequalized, p. 10
Conservative conventional wisdom is challenged by a new report showing the economic gap...
- School's Out, p. 11
Homeschooling is getting more and more popular. Unfortunately, no one knows if it works
- On the Hill: Broken Rules, pp. 12-13
How two obscure rules changes, passed in the early populist euphoria of the Republican ...
- Savings Grace, pp. 14-15
An IRA-like account for every American could rescue Social Security---and do some good ...
- Rwanda Dispatch: Life After Death, pp. 16-17
Can Rwanda's fledgling government punish mass murderers without committing atrocities o...
- In Defense of Preference, pp. 18-19
A longtime critic of affirmative action in university admissions makes the case for pre...
- Testing Texas, pp. 20-25
Ending racial preferences at the University of Texas Law School was supposed to restore...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Cops and Perpetrators (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Fireworks (1998 Film), by Takeshi "Beat" Kitano
- Fireworks (1998 Film) by Takeshi "Beat" Kitano
- The Big Lebowski (1998 Film) by Joel Coen
- Canny and Lacy, pp. 27-31
Ally McBeal and the betrayal of postfeminism
[+] This Magic Moment (Review) , pp. 32-34
We the People, Vol. II: Transformations, by Bruce Ackerman
- We the People, Vol. II: Transformations by Bruce Ackerman
- No Port Now, p. 35
[+] The Book of Love (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
Pages Passed from Hand to Hand, by Mark Mitchell and David Leavitt
- Pages Passed from Hand to Hand by Mark Mitchell and David Leavitt
- A History of Gay Literature by Gregory Woods
[+] Big (Review) , pp. 38-41
Victor Hugo: A Biography, by Graham Robb
- Victor Hugo: A Biography by Graham Robb
- Catskills Diarist: Klezmania, pp. 42-44