The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 29, 1997 Issue - 16 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-6
Dworkin v. Nussbaum, Teamsters v. Goldberg, etc.
- Getting Testy, p. 7
Democrats used to oppose national education standards for stupid reasons. Now it's the ...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Neil Armstrong lands on Mars, Republicans on Venus, etc.
- On the Hill: Deja Coup II, p. 10
Newt's enemies are at it again
- Berlin Dispatch: Re-edification, p. 11
Exorcising Nazi poltergeists from Germany's new capital
- Taos County Postcard: Washed Out, pp. 12-13
Mud homes were the prefect antidote to modern architecture---environmentally sound, clo...
- Illiberal Arts, pp. 14-16
You don't have to be a Philistine to dislike the NEA
- Island of Disenchantment, pp. 17-24
Three years ago, President Clinton dispatched the American military to restore democrac...
- The Hard Qustions: Mourning in America, p. 25
Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Princess Di and the trivialization of grief
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Wry Look at Hell (Review) , p. 26
My Mother's Courage (1996 Film), by Michael Verhoeven
- My Mother's Courage (1996 Film) by Michael Verhoeven
[+] The Facts and the Feelings (2 Reviews) , pp. 27-31
America in Black and White, by Stephan Thernstrom and Abigail Thernstrom
- America in Black and White by Stephan Thernstrom and Abigail Thernstrom
- A Country of Strangers by David K. Shipler
- Friends, p. 32
[+] Beneath the Waves (Review) , pp. 33-37
Virginia Woolf, by Hermione Lee
- Virginia Woolf by Hermione Lee
[+] The Chrysalis Years (2 Reviews) , pp. 38-41
Le Corbusier's Formative Years, by H. Allen Brooks
- Le Corbusier's Formative Years by H. Allen Brooks
- The Final Testament of Pere Corbu by Le Corbusier
- Jerusalem Diarist: Shell-Shocked, pp. 42-44