The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 22, 1997 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: Taking Sides, pp. 4-7
In Bosnia, the hour of decision is at hand
- Correspondence, pp. 8-10
Our woman at STRIVE, their man in Mexico, etc.
- Whitewash, p. 11
Clinton's fix for affirmative action: set-asides for everyone
- Notebook, pp. 12-13
Republican delusions, legislative illusions, etc.
- Medix Rex: The Feast of Diana, pp. 14-15
The paparazzi may have driven the princess to her death, but it's the mainstream press ...
- Class Struggle, p. 16
The trustees appointed to save D.C.'s schools were supposed to be above political press...
- Parral Dispatch: Lost Colony, p. 17
A German cult leader and his secretive colony in Chile prepare for a government siege
- Bull in a China Scandal, pp. 18-23
The Thompson hearings resumed this week, but the verdict is already in: the chairman bl...
- Live and Let Lie, pp. 24-28
The old reaction to adultery---keeping it in the closet, pretending that it doesn't exi...
- The Hard Questions: The Underworked American, p. 29
Labor once thought the working day was too long. Now it's too short
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: French Wars (2 Reviews) , p. 30
A Self-Made Hero (1997 Film), by Jacques Audiard
- A Self-Made Hero (1997 Film) by Jacques Audiard
- Capitaine Conan (1996 Film) by Bertrand Tavernier
- On Art: The Incredible Shrinking Classics, pp. 31-35
MoMA's fossilized futurism
[+] Crimes and Misdemeanors (Review) , pp. 36-41
Europe: A History, by Norman Davies
- Europe: A History by Norman Davies
[+] The Scandal of Certainty (Review) , pp. 42-43
Fools, Martyrs, Traitors, by Lacey Baldwin Smith
- Fools, Martyrs, Traitors by Lacey Baldwin Smith
- My Sister, the Queen, pp. 44-45
- Washington Diarist: The Princess Bride, pp. 46-48