The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 12, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Murkowski and Moseley-Braun v. Grann and Niedowski on the dirty Hill, Nellie Fong v. St...
- TRB: What, Me Worry?, p. 6
Ken Starr says he has evidence of obstruction of justice and Jim McDougal is singing li...
- Human Wrongs, p. 7
The White House builds a moral argument for sanctions against Myanmar, then tears it ap...
- Ralph Reed crusades for Mammon, Tommy Hilfiger gets snared in the Net, etc., p. 8
- Mauritania Dispatch: Virtual Slavery, p. 9
In the southwest corner of the Sahara Desert, slavery lives. Or does it?
- Falklands Postcard: Cry for Me, pp. 10-11
Argentina dreams of re-conquest, while the Falklanders build the New Kuwait
- Jerusalem Dispatch: The Outsiders, pp. 12-13
Netanyahu tries to save himself by exploiting the bitterness of the religious fringe
- Hollywood Shufflers, pp. 14-16
Right-wing senators and left-wing movie moguls are making their own boy-meets-girl movie
- Raising Caen, pp. 17-24
The glory days of the old media, when newspapers evoked the sense of the community in w...
- The Hard Questions: Homegrown, p. 25
Why charter schools can save public education
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Disneyland and Elsewhere (3 Reviews) , p. 26
Grosse Pointe Blank (1997 Film), by George Armitage
- Grosse Pointe Blank (1997 Film) by George Armitage
- Ulysses' Gaze (1995 Film) by Theodoros Angelopoulos
- Pereira Declares (1996 Film) by Roberto Faenza
- On Theater: The Descent of Man, pp. 27-29
The Wooster Group's The Hairy Ape revivifies Eugene O'Neill
[+] He is Finished (Review) , pp. 30-34
The Gospel According to the Son, by Norman Mailer
- The Gospel According to the Son by Norman Mailer
[+] Keeping Us In Hysterics (Review) , pp. 35-41
Hystories: Hysterical Epidemics and Modern Culture, by Elaine Showalter
- Hystories: Hysterical Epidemics and Modern Culture by Elaine Showalter
- Success, p. 42
[+] A Brief Shining Moment (Review) , pp. 43-49
Gender and Jim Crow, by Glenda Elizabeth Gilmore
- Gender and Jim Crow by Glenda Elizabeth Gilmore
- Washington Diarist: Housebound, pp. 50-52