The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 10, 1997 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB: CITIC-VIP, pp. 4-5
Did China give to the DNC?
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Federico Pena and his books; sex and the TNR employee, etc.
- Destructive Engagement, p. 9
Deng, Clinton and our failed China policy
- Notebook, p. 10
Alan Simpson teaches journalists a lesson, Steve Forbes sends Arizona a valentine, etc.
- On the Hill: Teamwork, p. 11
How determined Republicans and complaisant Democrats killed campaign finance reform in ...
- Domestic Partners, pp. 12-13
Why Chinese-Americans stay silent about the abuses back home
- Hot Air, p. 14
Two federal commissions propose to make air travel safe from terrorists. But their plan...
- The Myth of the China Market, pp. 15-16
Our China policy says we must appease so we can sell to the world's greatest market. Bu...
- Chinatown, pp. 17-20
The foreign policy establishmentarians have a good reason to push better relations with...
- The Betrayal of Hong Kong, pp. 21-26
The fix is in between the Chinese government and the Hong Kong merchants. Everybody get...
- The Hard Questions: Bad Bet, p. 27
State lotteries are shooting craps with the lives of the poor
Madeleine Albright and Jewish Identity
- The Power of Myth, p. 28
- Human Condition , p. 29
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: State of Affairs (3 Reviews) , pp. 30-31
The Daytrippers (1995 Film), by Greg Mottola
- The Daytrippers (1995 Film) by Greg Mottola
- Kama Sutra (1997 Film) by Mira Nair
- Studio Affairs by Vincent Sherman
[+] Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Thomas Jefferson (3 Reviews) , pp. 32-38
The Long Affair, by Conor Cruise O'Brien
- The Long Affair by Conor Cruise O'Brien
- Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings by Annette Gordon-Reed
- American Sphinx by Joseph J. Ellis
- Ah, Icarus, pp. 39-41
[+] The Clown Prince (Review) , pp. 42-44
Duchamp: A Biography, by Calvin Tomkins
- Duchamp: A Biography by Calvin Tomkins
[+] Deng and Gone (2 Reviews) , pp. 45-49
Troublemaker, by Harry Wu and George Vecsey
- Troublemaker by Harry Wu and George Vecsey
- The Deng Xiaoping Era by Maurice Meisner
- New York Diarist: Forget It, pp. 50-52
- Cover, illustration