The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 28, 1997 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: The China Syndrome, pp. 4-5
It's the white pols, not the Yellow Peril, who imperil democracy
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Less from Kelly, more from Moorce, etc.
- Following the Money, p. 9
Why the Thompson hearings matter
- Notebook, p. 10
Just in: Ollie was innocent, D.C. is safer than Topeka, Gephardt loves Clinton, etc.
- Szczecin Postcard: Pole Vaulting, p. 11
Keeping up with the Joneskis
- Space Oddity, pp. 12-13
Supporters of American involvement in the Mir project justify it as a diplomatic necess...
- Careless, pp. 14-15
The new Medicare reform plan is great, unless you happen to be old and sick
- Dual Sovereigns, pp. 16-18
The Rehnquist Court repudiates Congress, reconsiders the New Deal and resurrects states...
- The Double Man, pp. 19-24
William Cohen cherishes his independence, revels in the details of policy and holds sel...
- The Hard Questions: Outside Agitation, p. 25
What's missing from the Clinton conversation on race: troublemakers
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Human Rites (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Guantanamera (1994 Film), by Juan Carlos Tabio and Tomas Gutierrez Alea
- Guantanamera (1994 Film) by Juan Carlos Tabio and Tomas Gutierrez Alea
- My Best Friend's Wedding (1997 Film) by P.J. Hogan
[+] The Saint (Review) , pp. 27-31
Locked in the Cabinet, by Robert Reich
- Locked in the Cabinet by Robert Reich
[+] An Unsentimental Education (Review) , pp. 32-35
A Book of Memories, by Peter Nadas
- A Book of Memories by Peter Nadas
[+] The Rough Rider (Review) , pp. 36-39
American Visions, by Robert Hughes
- American Visions by Robert Hughes
- Symphonie Fantastique, pp. 40-41
- New Hampshire Diarist: Missing, pp. 42-44