The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 14, 1997 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Defending Poppy, siding with Sid, etc.
- TRB: Take Your Medicine, p. 6
The deal between Big Tobacco and Big Government epitomizes the new statism
- Overdue Process, p. 7
Bringing Pol Pot to justice
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Starr goes slumming, etc.
- On the Hill: Rebel Rousers, p. 10
Newt's rivals say he's clueless. Look who's talking
- The Enabler, p. 11
The GOP may be drunk on tax cuts for the rich, but it was Clinton who gave them the key...
- Mount Vernon Postcard: Slavery Chic, p. 12
Think identity politics can't get more absurd? Try spending a day at slave camp
- No Initiative, pp. 13-15
CCRI prevailed in California. So why are the foes of affirmative action faltering every...
- The Dayton Game, pp. 16-17
The Albright-Cohen feud revelas what's really at the core of the Bosnia peace accords: ...
- Partners in Crime, pp. 18-24
Hong Kong's world-class gangs run drugs and arms, pimp whores, smuggle aliens and chop ...
- Dire Straits, pp. 25-26
Will Taiwan be the next course on China's menu?
- The Hard Questions: Eastern Exposure, p. 27
Expanding NATO could kill more than the alliance, but don't expect anyone to say so
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Apocalypse Now (Review) , pp. 28-29
Waco - The Rules of Engagement (1997 Film), by William Gazecki
- Waco - The Rules of Engagement (1997 Film) by William Gazecki
- On Art: Earth, pp. 30-31
The unprogrammatic program of American landscape painting
- The Lucky Ones, p. 32
- Human Rights and Asian Values, pp. 33-39
[+] Wolf in Wolf's Clothing (Review) , pp. 40-42
Man Without A Face, by Markus Wolf and Anne McElvoy
- Man Without A Face by Markus Wolf and Anne McElvoy
[+] Last Exit to Brooklyn (Review) , pp. 43-45
The Ordinary Seaman, by Francisco Goldman
- The Ordinary Seaman by Francisco Goldman
- Washington Diarist: Red Letter Day, pp. 46-48