The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 24, 1997 Issue - 16 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Herb Kohl explains himself, France sneers back, etc.
- TRB: Presidential, p. 6
Clinton gets serious about the State of the Union
- "Mr. Guilty Is Liable", p. 7
Why the second Simpson verdict was about justice, not race
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Jennings condescends to America, Dick Morris bends to his desires, etc.
- Anti-Antidisestablishmentarianism, pp. 10-11
The Religious Freedom Restoration Act is one of those laws everyone loves---for exactly...
- Clinton's Medicare Mouse, pp. 12-14
The president is being hailed for his willingness to spend political capital to save Me...
- Primary Care, pp. 15-17
How the White House cajoled, coerced, sweet-talked and scared Jesse Jackson into not ru...
- Sex and the Soldier, pp. 18-22
In today's armed forces, the push is on for gender integration. But in the rush for equ...
- The Hard Questions: Civil Rites, p. 23
Abusing Oklahoma City
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Mountaineers, Miners (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
Prisoner of the Mountains (1996 Film), by Sergei Bodrov
- Prisoner of the Mountains (1996 Film) by Sergei Bodrov
- Margaret's Museum (1995 Film) by Mort Ransen
[+] Access: Bold as Love (Review) , pp. 26-29
Behind the Oval Office, by Dick Morris
- Behind the Oval Office by Dick Morris
[+] War and Peace (3 Reviews) , pp. 30-35
Reading, translating, and speaking Homer
- Homer: The Odyssey by Robert Fagles and Homer
- The Odyssey Re-Formed by Frederick Ahl and Hanna M. Roisman
- Homer in English by George Steiner and Homer
[+] The Writer as Princess (Review) , pp. 36-37
Enchantress: Marthe Bibesco and Her World, by Christine Sutherland
- Enchantress: Marthe Bibesco and Her World by Christine Sutherland
- Rara Avis in Terris, pp. 38-41
- Boston Diarist: Patriot Games, pp. 42-44
- Cover, illustration