The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 14, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
China's American employees, Jefferson's love life, etc.
- TRB: A Toast, pp. 6-8
Al Gore and Li Peng lift a glass to money
- Applauding Murder, p. 9
Israelis die, the zealots cheer and Arafat winks
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
The Oscars in between, Tony Blankley out of the loop, Wendell Ford beside himself, etc.
- Kinshasa Dispatch: Zaire Crashes, pp. 12-13
A dictator's final days
- Out of Commission, p. 14
Clintonism wrecks a study of the trade deficit
- Trading Places, pp. 15-17
Why is Al Gore, internationalist extraordinaire, burying new free trade agreements? Ans...
- Dip-Lock, p. 18
The White House used to appoint big donors to ambassadorships. Now, spooked by scandal,...
- Black Check, pp. 19-20
Forget about coffes with arms dealers. The real fundraising scandal is simpler. Both pa...
- Shades of Gray, pp. 21-23
Ex-Bushie C. Boyden Gray likes to moralize on air about the Clinton fund-raising scanda...
- Dysfunction Junction, pp. 24-26
What comes after Oprah, Geraldo, and Jenny Jones: the Recovery Network, a twenty-four-h...
- The Hard Questions: Last Rights, p. 27
A philosopher's Dream Team hits the Supreme Court on assisted suicide
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Hates, Loves, Addictions (3 Reviews) , pp. 28-29
Nothing Personal (1997 Film), by Thaddeus O'Sullivan
- Nothing Personal (1997 Film) by Thaddeus O'Sullivan
- Drunks (1997 Film) by Peter Cohn
- Love Jones (1997 Film) by Theodore Witcher
[+] Love, American Style (2 Reviews) , pp. 30-37
The Divorce Culture, by Barbara Dafoe Whitehead
- The Divorce Culture by Barbara Dafoe Whitehead
- The Abolition of Marriage by Maggie Gallagher
[+] The Dualist (Review) , pp. 38-43
Whittaker Chambers: A Biography, by Sam Tanenhaus
- Whittaker Chambers: A Biography by Sam Tanenhaus
[+] What Henry Knew (Review) , pp. 44-47
Henry James: The Young Master, by Sheldon M. Novick
- Henry James: The Young Master by Sheldon M. Novick
- Part Speech, pp. 48-49
- Washington Diarist: Hit and Miss, pp. 50-52
- Cover, illustration