The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 7, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Plan B, pp. 4-5
The White House has a bright idea
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Stephanopoulos v. TNR, Round II, etc.
- Newt Gets One Right, p. 9
The speaker ditches tax buts. Will the president?
- Notebook, p. 10
The New York Times dines out, Al Haig proves he's still in charge, etc.
- Tirana Dispatch: Favorite Son, p. 11
How America's pet Balkan dictator sent his country into the abyss
- Final Verdict, pp. 12-14
KGB testimony closes the book, at last, on the Rosenberg case: guilty, guilty, guilty
- Capitol Flight, p. 15
The myth that the congressman who spends the least time in Washington governs best
- Accounting Device, pp. 16-17
How Switzerland fooled itself and the world into believing that neutrality meant morali...
- The Jungle, pp. 18-20
As they boast, the Republicans passed a law subjecting Congress to the same regulations...
- The Dirty Hill, pp. 21-24
As Congress begins looking into the White House money scandal, its members are trying n...
- The Hard Questions: The Citizenship Boom, p. 25
Why Americans worry
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Life Studies (3 Reviews) , pp. 26-27
Mandela (1996 Film), by Angus Gibson and Jo Menell
- Mandela (1996 Film) by Angus Gibson and Jo Menell
- Gray's Anatomy (1997 Film) by Steven Soderbergh
- Private Parts (1997 Film) by Betty Thomas
- On Theater: The Rebirth of Irish Drama, pp. 28-29
A great dramatic tradition fears fresh fruit
[+] The Money Trap (Review) , p. 30
The Coming Conflict with China, by Richard Bernstein and Ross H. Munro
- The Coming Conflict with China by Richard Bernstein and Ross H. Munro
- Large Black Dog, pp. 31-35
[+] Sexing the Jewry (Review) , pp. 36-37
Gut Symmetries, by Jeanette Winterson
- Gut Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson
[+] Beyond Pangloss (Review) , pp. 38-41
Leibniz' "Universal Jurisprudence, by Patrick Riley
- Leibniz' "Universal Jurisprudence by Patrick Riley
- Hollywood Diarist: Season's Greetings, pp. 42-44
- Cover, illustration