The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 4, 1993 Issue - 21 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
An attack on Morton Halperin; who began the "Beguine"?, etc.
- TRB: Trading Places, p. 6
Republicans and NAFTA
- Supercuts, p. 7
During the end-game of the budget negotiations, Clinton promised more spending reductio...
- Notebook, p. 8
Betsey Wright's lobbying, gays in the military---again, etc.
- Bethlehem Postcard: Mother Dolores, p. 9
A convent visit
- Farragut North, pp. 10-11
A page from The Wall Street Journal's book
- White House Watch: Better Late, p. 12
Clinton's NAFTA strategy
- Bad Noose, pp. 13-14
The latest congressional attempt to save Habeas Corpus from the Rehnquist Court unfortu...
- Peace Not, p. 15
Rabin's gamble needs a democratic vote---now
- Arafat's Burden, pp. 16-19
Can the PLO deliver the Palestinians? The answer---surprisingly---is probably yes
- After Euphoria, pp. 20-21
Trying to be enthusiastic, despite experience
- On the Road, pp. 22-26
The beginning (at last) of a series of tests
- Letting Go, pp. 27-29
Can Israelis---and Jews---take yes for an answer?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Civilizations (2 Reviews) , pp. 30-31
Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993 Film), by Woody Allen
- Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993 Film) by Woody Allen
- Samba Traore (1992 Film) by Idrissa Ouedraogo
- On Theater: All's Well That Ends in Melancholy, p. 32
Shakespeare in the Park's 1993 season does wonders with the bard's "Bed Trick Repertory"
[+] Only Connect (2 Reviews) , pp. 33-37
The Moral Sense, by James Q. Wilson
- The Moral Sense by James Q. Wilson
- Mother-Infant Bonding: A Scientific Fiction by Diane E. Eyer
[+] Professors of Desire (2 Reviews) , pp. 38-41
Love and Friendship, by Allan Bloom
- Love and Friendship by Allan Bloom
- Esteem Enlivened by Desire by Jean H. Hagstrum
- Hybrid Magnolias in Late April, p. 42
[+] Survival of the Cruelest (Review) , pp. 43-45
The Road to Wellville, by T. Coraghessan Boyle
- The Road to Wellville by T. Coraghessan Boyle
- Paris Diarist: Larger Than Life, pp. 46-48