The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 29, 1993 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB: HMOphobia, pp. 4-5
The case for expensive health care
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Washington's mayor, hassle-free existence, etc.
- The Bomb Threat, p. 9
Time to take fundamentalist terrorism seriously
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Congress saves the country, fertilizer and bombs, etc.
- Millennium Chart, p. 12
Inside the modern eschatological mind
- Istanbul Postcard: Bosnag, p. 12
One unhappy consequence of the Balkan crisis: the destabilization of Turkey by Muslim o...
- Romper Room, pp. 13-15
The new movement to ban sexual harassment---by tots
- Nader's Faders, p. 16
Why don't consumer groups care about free trade?
- Court Watch: Lemon Law, p. 17
Church-state wars---in sign language
- Bloody Sheikh, pp. 18-19
How Omar Abdel Rahman, mentor to the New York bombers, got away with his role in Sadat'...
- Whose Managed Competition?, pp. 20-24
The Clintonites agree on what to call our new health care system. But not much else. A ...
- The Technology Time Bomb, pp. 25-31
Even if Hillary Rodham Clinton gives us the most efficient health care system imaginabl...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Watching Women (Review) , p. 32
The Last Days of Chez Nous (1993 Film), by Gillian Armstrong
- The Last Days of Chez Nous (1993 Film) by Gillian Armstrong
- On Theater: Architectural Barriers, pp. 33-35
Unadventurous classics in London
[+] Class Secretary (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-41
Three Lives, by Louis Auchincloss
- Three Lives by Louis Auchincloss
- Louis Auchincloss: A Writer's Life by Carol W. Gelderman
[+] Strange Attachments (2 Reviews) , pp. 42-45
Nationalism: Five Roads to Modernity, by Liah Greenfeld
- Nationalism: Five Roads to Modernity by Liah Greenfeld
- Citizenship and Nationhood in France and Germany by Rogers Brubaker
[+] The Man With Qualities (3 Reviews) , pp. 46-47
Flaubert, by Henri Troyat
- Flaubert by Henri Troyat
- Flaubert-Sand: The Correspondence by Alphonse Jacobs, Gustave Flaubert, and George Sand, ...
- Early Writings of Gustave Flaubert by Robert Berry Griffin and Gustave Flaubert
- The Context of a Necktie Quilt, Silk and Satins, 1940s, pp. 48-49
- Washington Diarist: Youngsters, pp. 50-52