The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 11, 1991 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Moynihan Redux, pp. 4-5
Social Security tax cut, round two, and an idea to improve it
- Correspondence, p. 6
In defense of the Japanese, jazz, etc.
- Opportunism Knocks, p. 7
Mikhail Gorbachev's recent peace initiative in the Gulf was not the act of a genuine ally
- Notebook, p. 8
Racial quotas at Heritage, etc.
- The Press: Hacks Anonymous, pp. 9-10
Should editorials be abolished?
- White House Watch: The Other Gulf, p. 11
The recent blowup over remarks by the Israeli ambassador merely confirms the distance b...
- A Slight Draft, pp. 12-13
The case for occasional conscription
- Dellums' Dilemma, pp. 14-15
Should a congressman who doesn't believe in intelligence get a seat on the House Intell...
- Loose Cannon, pp. 16-17
most peoplea are concerned that if the Soviet Union collapses into warring factions, nu...
- Unkindest Cut, pp. 18-19
Can your doctor really give you AIDS?
- Operation Desert Norm, pp. 20-27
H. Norman Schwarzkopf's experiences in Vietnam and Grenada have left him well prepared ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Gem, and Others (3 Reviews) , p. 28
Love (1971 Film), by Karoly Makk
- Love (1971 Film) by Karoly Makk
- L.A. Story (1991 Film) by Mick Jackson
- Sleeping with the Enemy (1991 Film) by Joseph Ruben
- An Exercise in Memory, pp. 29-31
[+] The Spirit of the Laws (Review) , pp. 32-36
On Reading the Constitution, by Laurence H. Tribe and Michael C. Dorf
- On Reading the Constitution by Laurence H. Tribe and Michael C. Dorf
[+] The Agitator (Review) , p. 37
Frederick Douglass, by William S. McFeely
- Frederick Douglass by William S. McFeely
- Further Documentation, pp. 38-40
[+] Bending the Rules (Review) , pp. 41-42
All or Nothing, by Jonathan Steinberg
- All or Nothing by Jonathan Steinberg
- Washington Diarist: Poached, pp. 43-44
The Wolf Blitzerkrieg continues
- Cover painting