The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 7, 1991 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: Dollars for Scholars, pp. 4-5
What exactly is the principle George Bush thinks he is enforcing?
- Correspondence, p. 6
Revenge of the Guatemala election observers, etc.
- Color-Blinded, pp. 7-8
The Bush administration's gyrations on minority scholarships miss the real issue of how...
- Notebook, p. 9
Bill Bennett's millions, etc.
- The Wimp Factor, p. 10
In 1992 it won't be George Bush fighting it. Thanks to their Gulf policy, it'll be the ...
- Bull Mouse, pp. 11-15
President Bush took down Coolidge's portrait and put up Theodore Roosevelt's, but he's ...
- On the Hill: Shadow Boxing, pp. 16-17
Jesse Jackson is going to have to do his lobbying for D.C. statehood outsider the Senat...
- The Stakes in the Gulf, pp. 18-24
Vital American and international interests are threatened in the Middle East. Saddam Hu...
- Low Fidelity, pp. 25-31
Cubans are riding bicycles, eating rats, and fleeing the country in droves. Castro may ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Wastelands (2 Reviews) , p. 32
Awakenings (1990 Film), by Penny Marshall
- Awakenings (1990 Film) by Penny Marshall
- The Sheltering Sky (1990 Film) by Bernardo Bertolucci
- In Search of the Present, pp. 33-37
[+] Life in the Stone Age (4 Reviews) , pp. 38-43
Rolling Stone Magazine, by Robert Draper
- Rolling Stone Magazine by Robert Draper
- Songs of the Doomed by Hunter S. Thompson
- Blown Away by A.E. Hotchner
- Stone Alone by Bill Wyman and Ray Coleman
[+] The Stimsonian Institution (Review) , pp. 44-46
The Colonel, by Godfrey Hodgson
- The Colonel by Godfrey Hodgson
[+] The Great Ventriloquist (Review) , p. 47
Possession, by A.S. Byatt
- Possession by A.S. Byatt
- The Runner and the Mountain, pp. 48-49
- Cambridge Diarist: Big Sister, pp. 50-52
Armenia meets Massachusetts