The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 22, 1991 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB: Mr. Fix-It, pp. 4-5
A time-honored Democratic Party tradition, from Clark Clifford to Ron Brown, is still g...
- Correspondence, p. 6
Mothers make better poets, war is hell, etc.
- Dances With Wolf, p. 7
- Ex Cathedra , pp. 8-9
- Notebook , pp. 10-11
- Blues for Lee, p. 12
Lee Atwater's political legacy and moral regrets
- White House Watch: The Old Bush, p. 13
The return of an anti-hero
- Blitzed, pp. 14-15
Why the alcoholic treatment fad is driving me to drink
- Pyongyang Postcard: Juche State, pp. 16-17
Cuba's crumbling, Albania's on the ropes, but compulsively tidy communism is alive and ...
- March 28, 1991, p. 18
An eyewitness at the great march on the Kremlin
- Stop It Hertz, p. 19
How airports rip off car renters
- Deja Views, pp. 20-22
If the debate about how to finance Social Security sounds familiar, it's because we had...
- The Strange Case of Ramsey Clark, pp. 23-29
How Lyndon Johnson's distinguished attorney general, with the help of LaRouchies, the W...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Fantasies (2 Reviews) , pp. 30-31
Defending Your Life (1991 Film), by Albert Brooks
- Defending Your Life (1991 Film) by Albert Brooks
- Paris Is Burning (1990 Film) by Jennie Livingston
- The Autumn of the Caudillo, pp. 32-37
Fidel Castro, the last true believer, sits on the edge of an abyss. Cuba's troubles are...
[+] Homage to Catalonia (Review) , pp. 38-42
A Life of Picasso, Vol. I: 1881-1906, by John Richardson and Marilyn McCully
- A Life of Picasso, Vol. I: 1881-1906 by John Richardson and Marilyn McCully
[+] The End of the Road (Review) , p. 43
The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor, by John Barth
- The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor by John Barth
- What Scenery Looks Like from a Helicopter, pp. 44-46
- Washington Diarist: The Milk Can, pp. 47-48
Lech Walesa's gift