The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 15, 1990 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB: Goodbye to Berlin, pp. 4-5
The advantages of a dull capital
- Correspondence, p. 6
Kissinger complains; Kerry, too, etc.
- War Options, p. 7
- Loose Buchanan , p. 8
- Notebook , pp. 9-11
- Against 'Declinism', p. 12
The Iraqi crisis is only the latest problem for Paul Kennedy and others who argue that ...
- Walled In, pp. 13-17
Gorbachev and Yeltsin are juggling a pair of economic reform plans. It'll take a lot lo...
- Read My Liposuction, p. 18
Despite all that medical science and more occult forms of wizardry have done to give Da...
- Duke's Duds, pp. 19-21
The white sheet as a political fashion statement
- A Taxing Governor, pp. 22-29
Governor Jim Florio thought the talisman of the 'progressive populist' brand of liberal...
- Fleeing Florio, pp. 30-31
Fellow Democrats aren't making the same mistake
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Aftermath, and After (Review) , pp. 32-33
Life and Nothing But (1989 Film), by Bertrand Tavernier
- Life and Nothing But (1989 Film) by Bertrand Tavernier
- Blood and Chocolate, pp. 34-36
Live from the stage, in color and in context, here's everything you always wanted to kn...
[+] Tyrants and Butterflies (Review) , pp. 37-43
Vladimir Nabokov: The Russian Years, 1899-1940, by Brian Boyd
- Vladimir Nabokov: The Russian Years, 1899-1940 by Brian Boyd
[+] The Great Seduction (Review) , pp. 44-45
The Cause that Failed, by Guenter Lewy
- The Cause that Failed by Guenter Lewy
- Alban Berg, p. 46
[+] Us v. Them (Review) , pp. 47-49
Making All the Difference, by Martha Minow
- Making All the Difference by Martha Minow
[+] True Pooh (Review) , pp. 50-53
A.A. Milne: The Man Behind Winnie-the-Pooh, by Ann Thwaite
- A.A. Milne: The Man Behind Winnie-the-Pooh by Ann Thwaite
- Cambridge Diarist: Confessions, pp. 54-56
A voter's primary concerns