The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 24, 1990 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 2-3
Are Hispanics a minority? Should black teens have babies?, etc.
- TRB: Picky, Picky, p. 4
Is disingenuousness a war crime?
- Separation Anxiety, p. 5
The U.S. needs to get serious about the prospect of Soviet dissolution
- Notebook, pp. 6-7
NBA all-stars, Burger King's family values, etc.
- House Afire, pp. 8-11
The failures of the House Republicans have prompted them to form a circular firing squa...
- Mexico Postcard: Dead Babies, p. 12
How come people around the world believe that Americans butch other countries' infants ...
- Hamlet In Kuwait, pp. 13-15
Instead of resolving to do what has to be done, George Bush is hoping the U.N. will off...
- Bare Bones, pp. 16-18
Evidence that Tito massacred thousands of his own people keeps rising to the surface---...
- The Press: Spy's Demise, pp. 19-22
For a moment, Spy was the toast of New York. Now hardly anyone wants it. Could it be th...
- Beasts of the Beltway, pp. 23-25
Thousands of conservatives watch in horror as Godzilla (John Sununu) and King Kong (Ric...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Life With Father (Review) , p. 26
Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1990 Film), by James Ivory
- Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1990 Film) by James Ivory
- Low and Behold, pp. 27-33
MOMA's 'High & Low: Modern Art and Popular Culture' has offended just about everybody, ...
[+] The Trouble With Harry (Review) , p. 34
Rabbit at Rest, by John Updike
- Rabbit at Rest by John Updike
- Artist's Proof, pp. 35-36
[+] Dangerous Liasons (Review) , pp. 37-42
Road to Divorce: England 1530-1987, by Lawrence Stone
- Road to Divorce: England 1530-1987 by Lawrence Stone
- Washington Diarist: Hearty Fare, pp. 43-44
Watching and waiting