The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 20, 1989 Issue - 20 Articles
- TRB From Washington: Let Him Have It, pp. 4-5
Play a dirty trick on George Bush. Give him the line-item veto
- Correspondence, p. 6
El Salvador, oil reserves on Alaskan preserves, etc.
- The End of Discussion, p. 7
- Charade in Taif , p. 8
- Ortega's Ploy , p. 9
- Notebook , p. 9
- Tibet's Agony, p. 10
Will the Dalai Lama's Nobel Prize matter?
- On the Hill: Hogrolling, p. 11
When motorcycle gangs seek redress of grievances they do some serious lobbying, so don'...
- Cocaine Chemistry, pp. 12-15
How we can help the cartel to cook the coke
- One Hand Clapping, pp. 16-17
Reagan-san's $2 million jaunt to Japan didn't get such terrific coverage over there. He...
- Hungary's Quiet Revolution, pp. 18-22
Thirty years after the murdered uprising of 1956, Imre Nagy's successors are reinventin...
- Rich Country, Poor Country, pp. 23-27
Optimism has been the common theme of theorists from Adam Smith through Karl Marx down ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Bombs (2 Reviews) , p. 28
Fat Man and Little Boy (1989 Film), by Roland Joffe
- Fat Man and Little Boy (1989 Film) by Roland Joffe
- The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989 Film) by Steven Kloves
- On Theater: No Secrets, No Rapture, pp. 29-30
The ostentatious integrity, and implausible plot, David Hare's Secret Rapture
[+] To the Gettysburg Station (Review) , pp. 31-35
Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858, by Don E. Fehrenbacher and Abraham L...
- Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858 by Don E. Fehrenbacher and Abraham Lincoln
- The Romance of American Communism, pp. 36-37
[+] Tao Jones (Review) , pp. 38-41
Microcosm, by George Gilder
- Microcosm by George Gilder
[+] Sexual Perversity in Jerusalem (Review) , pp. 42-46
Shira, by S.Y. Agnon
- Shira by S.Y. Agnon
- Paris Diarist: Out of Tune, pp. 47-48
Discordant notes in 'the new Europe.'