The Freeman Archives
The Freeman • 56 Years, 639 Issues, 9,179 Articles, 40,767pp
January 1998 Issue - 22 Articles
- Perspective, pp. 2-3
- High Plains Drifters: Politicians'Lucrative Protection's Lucrative Protection Racket, pp. 4-9
The fine art of political extortion.
- White Magic, pp. 10-12
The good "magic "wrought by free people and free markets.
- Economics, Law, and Personal Relationships, pp. 13-15
Economics and contract law have remedies for a woman scorned.
- The Tobacco Deal: Myths and Misconceptions, pp. 16-21
Constitutional implications of the proposed federal settlement.
- Ideas and Consequences, pp. 22-23
Food for Thought
- Roads Without the State, pp. 24-30
Relying on the market is the best route
- Who Pays the Price for Motherhood?, pp. 31-33
Insuring for predictable events-including pregnancy-makes bad economic sense.
- Potomac Principles, pp. 34-36
Global Political Warming
- Henry Ford and the Triumph of the Auto Industry, pp. 37-42
How Ford improved quality, cut prices, and put millions of average Americans on wheels.
- Democracy Would Doom Hong Kong, pp. 43-45
The difference between freedom and democracy.
- Elections, Extortion, and Unions, pp. 46-47
Countering a new assault by the American union movement.
- One Freedom, pp. 48-50
Teaching students about the virtues-and indivisibility -of freedom
- Individualism and Freedom: Vital Pillars of True Communities, pp. 51-53
Why individual liberty is indispensable for strong voluntary communities.
Economics on trial
- Why Are Austrians Unusually Bearish?, pp. 54-56
[+] Review Is Politics Insoluble?, by Henry Hazlitt and F... (Review) , p. 57
- Is Politics Insoluble? by Henry Hazlitt and Felix R. Livingston
[+] Review New York By the Numbers, by Raymond J. Keating... (Review) , p. 58
- New York By the Numbers by Raymond J. Keating and Steve Forbes
[+] Review Unintended Consequences, by John Ross (Review) , p. 59
- Unintended Consequences by John Ross
[+] Review The Big Lie, by A. Haeworth Robertson (Review) , p. 60
- The Big Lie by A. Haeworth Robertson
[+] Review The Menace of Multiculturalism, by Alvin J. Sc... (Review) , p. 61
- The Menace of Multiculturalism by Alvin J. Schmidt
[+] Review A Matter of Interpretation, by Antonin Scalia ... (Review) , p. 62
- A Matter of Interpretation by Antonin Scalia and Amy Gutmann
- Notes From Fee
Bill Gates, Philanthropist