Blueprint/The New Democrat Archives
Blueprint/The New Democrat • 7 Years, 27 Issues, 547 Articles, 1,760pp
Jan/Feb 2002 Issue - 33 Articles
- Editor's Note, pp. 1-3
Where We Stand
- Avoiding a New Politics of Evasion, pp. 4-5
Though Bush's standing is high, Democrats should not concede "toughness" issues to Repu...
New Dem Digest
- School reform bill aces its final, p. 6
New federal school reform law bears New Democrat imprint
- Interview, p. 7
A conversation with Rodney Carroll on welfeare reform
- People, pp. 8-9
Profiles of Govs. Mark Warner of Virginia and Jim McGreevey of New Jersey; Atlanta Mayo...
- Communities, pp. 10-12
With philanthropist Sol Price's help, San Diego's City Heights district is enjoying a r...
- Resources, pp. 13-14
Capsule reviews of Internet tools and an Idea of the Week from NDOL.org
- Guest Column, p. 15
Time for bold strokes
- After Dependence, pp. 16-19
Welfare is over. Now it's time for a new social compact that enables people to lift the...
- Finishing the Job, pp. 20-21
Seven steps Congress must take to complete the welfare revolution
- The economy slowed, but early indicators showed welfare caseloads were not rising, pp. 22-24
- Economy and Welfare Caseloads , p. 25
- Making the Case: Has Welfare Reform Worked?, pp. 26-31
Primus says reform's success depended on the 1990s boom, and may falter in a recession....
The Devolution Revolution
- Changing the bureaucracy helped to break the welfare cycle, p. 32
- Race to the Top , p. 33
- Promoting Marriage, pp. 34-37
Marriage is the conservative cure-all, though data shows unwed mothers to be highly unm...
- How to Modernize Unemployment Insurance, pp. 38-40
An industrial-era program, unemployment insurance needs urgent reform to work for the N...
- Let's Put Dads to Work, pp. 41-43
Too many fathers don't pay child support. Requiring them to work could change that
- Demanding Responsibility, Nothing Less, pp. 44-46
Single mothers have been heroic in raising their children. Now it's the men's turn
- National service after 9/11, p. 47
New World, New War---Special Section
- We Must Never Forget, pp. 48-50
We are fighting to rid the world of terrorists, but we must also seize the opportunity ...
- Time to Transform, pp. 51-52
Afghanistan showed us a revolution in military affairs. Now we must put it at the top o...
- Reforming Public Health for Bioterrorism, pp. 53-54
We have no biodefense. Public health should become an integral part of our national sec...
- Fighting the Image War, pp. 55-57
So far, we're losing
- Winning with Technology, pp. 58-59
The information revolution can help us track and stop terrorists---if we act boldly
- Mexican-American Moderation, pp. 60-61
For many Latinos, moving up in politics means moving to the center
- Cap 'n' Trade, pp. 62-64
Now's the time to use market mechanisms to boost the battle for cleaner air
- The Vital Center, p. 65
Tough love in rough times
Culture & Politics
[+] Allegiance to the pledge (Review) , p. 66
Ending Welfare As We Know It, by R. Kent Weaver
- Ending Welfare As We Know It by R. Kent Weaver
[+] The immigrant second generation (Review) , pp. 67-68
Legacies, by Alejandro Portes and Ruben G. Rumbaut
- Legacies by Alejandro Portes and Ruben G. Rumbaut
[+] Academic follies (Review) , pp. 69-70
Ivory Towers on Sand, by Martin S. Kramer
- Ivory Towers on Sand by Martin S. Kramer
- Politics after Sept. 11, pp. 71-79
- Political Memo, pp. 80-82