The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
January 1998 Issue - 31 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-7
Misdirected, Mixed Up, but Mostly Making It.
- Sidelights, pp. 8-9
Healthy Non-Smoking Prostitutes. I-I-Me-Me. Sue Your Hubby. Blocking Right-Wing Smut.
- Scan: Short News and Commentary, pp. 10-17
Religious Rebels. Abused Filmmakers. More Labor Pains. The "Lefties Who Learn Nothing" ...
- Indicators: Numbers Etc., pp. 18-19
The Keys to Welfare Reform. Great Americans. Myth vs. Reality on Wealth.
- "Live" with TAE, pp. 20-25
His Films, 67 Years of Life in America, & Politics, Politics, Politics.
- The Year in Review, pp. 26-29
Three Caustic Wits Unsheath Their Knives and Tear into the Year That Was.
What Kind of America Will Generation X Inherit?
- Cold Water on Today's Prophets of Glee., pp. 30-34
- He Wouldn't Trade America's Problems for Any Other Country's., pp. 35-37
- Gen X Is Ok, Part I, pp. 38-41
Gen Xers Have Lots of Flaws, But They Know It. And, Surprise, They're Getting Better.
- Gen X Is Ok, Part II, pp. 42-45
For Many Xers, Passionlessness Is a Pose. All They Need Is the Right Spark.
- No, Gen X Is Not Ok, pp. 46-48
An Afternoon with the Shoppers at the Educational Mall.
- An Intimate Profile of Generation X, pp. 49-51
Gen Xers Are Admirably Serious about Work. But They're Carrying a Lot of Emotional Bagg...
Sex Codes on Campus
- Casual Sex Is Rampant. Real Intimacy Is Rare. But Signs of a Backlash Are Appearing., p. 52
- Growing Respect for Saving Sex , p. 53
- The Girls of Gen X, pp. 54-59
Young Women Are Freer, But Less Happy Than Previous Generations.
- Welfare to Work: Theory Meets Reality, pp. 60-63
A Firsthand - and Cautiously Optimistic - Report on Business Efforts to Hire and Train ...
- How Churches Are Weaning People from Welfare, pp. 64-68
Moving People from Welfare to Work Isn't Easy, But Church People More Than Any Others H...
- Bring in the Moralists, pp. 69-71
Why Welfare Reform Will Fail without the Help of Religious People.
- ...and Make Sure Welfare Is Unappealing, pp. 72-73
Welfare Progress Began When Recipients Got Scared. Unless Life on the Dole Looks Unattr...
In Real Life: First-Person America
- Wrestles Calves in a Classic Western Ritual., p. 74
- A Talented, Conservative Gen X Daughter., p. 75
- The Economist, pp. 76-79
How to Avoid the Folly of Subsidizing Pro Sports Arenas.
- Flashback, pp. 80-81
Forget Microbes on Mars. Percival Lowell Found Utopia There 100 Years Ago.
[+] All the Presidents' Ventriloquists (Review) , p. 82
All the Presidents' Words, by Carol Gelderman
- All the Presidents' Words by Carol Gelderman
[+] Friedrich and Ayn's Kids (Review) , p. 83
Bringing the Market Back in, by John L. Kelley
- Bringing the Market Back in by John L. Kelley
[+] The Village's Voice (Review) , p. 84
Speaking Freely, by Nat Hentoff
- Speaking Freely by Nat Hentoff
[+] Viper Killer (Review) , pp. 84-85
Generation of Vipers, by Philip Wylie
- Generation of Vipers by Philip Wylie
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 86-90
Term Limits and the Constitution...Problems of Prosperity...Seduced Samaritans...Judais...
- Opinion Pulse: The Latest Survey Data, pp. 91-94
The Beliefs of Generation X - on the Job, in the Voting Booth, in Church, and at Home. ...
- The Mail, pp. 95-98
Fixing L.A. Falling off the Abortion Fence. Raining on TV. Tax Accountants for Simpler ...
- Cover Photographs