The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
September 1996 Issue - 42 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-7
Let's Have an Authentic Multicultural Education - Not a Relativist One, Thank You.
- Sidelights, pp. 8-9
Revolution in Uxbridge, Mass. Homework Helps. A Gun of Her Own.
- Scan, pp. 10-17
Preening Peacocks. Common Sense School Discipline. Angry White Females. Bennett and Ril...
- Indicators: Numbers Etc., p. 18
School Choice and Family Satisfaction. Where Teachers Send Their Children to School.
- Two Views, pp. 19-20
Character Education in the Public Schools.
- "Live" with TAE, pp. 21-25
Two of America's Most Famous Ex-Leftists, Eugene Genovese and Elizabeth Fox-Genovese, D...
- A Liberal Argument for School Choice, pp. 26-29
Competition among Schools Would Respect Children's Individuality and Diversity - Now Op...
- The Politics of School Reform, pp. 30-34
Americans Rate Better Schools as a Higher Priority for the Next President Than Crime or...
- Special Interests in the Classroom, pp. 35-37
From the Corner Schoolhouse to Washington, D.C., the Two Teachers' Unions Wield Enormou...
After Busing, Milwaukee Turns to School Choice
- To Understand Why Inner-City Milwaukeeans Support School Choice, It Helps to Know the Damage Busing Has Wrought., p. 38
- Blacks vs. Busing , pp. 39-40
- Busing Fails in Pittsburgh , p. 41
- Family Education, pp. 42-45
Parents Need to Get Their Act Together Before They Point the Finger at Schools.
The Self-Esteem Flimflam
- Students Need Standards, Not Happy-talk, p. 46
- The Feel-Good Goes to School , p. 47
- "We Were Wrong" , p. 48
- Self-Esteem , p. 49
Just Say No to the Ivy League
- The More Prestigious the Academic Institution, the Worse It's Likely to Be., pp. 50-52
- Just Say No to the Ivy League, p. 53
Higher Education Is Best When It's Local.
- Students to Keep Learning Outside the College Ghetto., pp. 54-55
- Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Lawyers, pp. 56-57
A Recovering Lawyer's True Confessions.
- Wrench-Wrestlers vs. Pencil-Pushers, p. 58
Are There Any Americans Left Who Don't Mind Getting Their Hands Dirty?
- Runway College Tuition, pp. 59-60
Where Does the Money from Higher Tuitions Go? Definitely Not to Higher Education.
- Affirmative Action Goes to College, pp. 61-62
After Years of Double Standards in College Admissions the Verdict Is In - All Parties H...
- Separate and Unequal at Cornell, pp. 63-64
An Undergraduate's Account of Racial Separatism on Campus.
- Will the Chinese Save L.A.?, pp. 65-67
Our Dead-End Urban Areas Are Being Powerfully Renewed by Chinese American Entrepreneurs.
- Asia's Bamboo Network, pp. 68-69
Look Out for the Next Global Power: Chinese Entrepreneurs Dominate the Business Sector ...
- The Battle for Congress, pp. 70-71
The Next Congressional Elections May Be the Most Important in 50 Years.
- Transcript: Words Worth Repeating, p. 72
America's Think Tanks and Political Magazines Are More Important Than Her Universities.
In Real Life: The Daily Work of Americans
- Socializes the Neighborhood., p. 73
- How Multiculturalism Destroyed His Parents' Homeland., p. 74
- Blake Hurst Is Fed Up with Red Tape at His Local School Board., p. 75
- The Economist, pp. 76-77
Why the Republicans' Fiscal Polices Offer the Best Chance for Growth and Opportunity.
- Flashback, pp. 78-79
In the Good Old Days, America's Youth Had Better Ways to Learn about Life Than College.
[+] Get the Picture? (Review) , p. 80
George Eastman: A Biography, by Elizabeth Brayer
- George Eastman: A Biography by Elizabeth Brayer
[+] McPapers Everywhere (Review) , p. 81
The Chain Gang, by Richard McCord
- The Chain Gang by Richard McCord
[+] Muggeridged by Reality (Review) , p. 82
Malcolm Muggeridge: The Biography, by Richard Ingrams
- Malcolm Muggeridge: The Biography by Richard Ingrams
[+] We're All Post-Liberals now (Review) , pp. 83-85
Enlightenment's Wake, by John Gray
- Enlightenment's Wake by John Gray
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 86-90
Glass Ceilings.. .Miranda Rights and Wrongs.. .Privatizing Social Security.
- Opinion Pulse: The Latest Survey Data, pp. 91-95
Public and Private Schools Compared.. .Doubts about Washington's Role in Education...El...
- The Mail, pp. 96-98
Baby Boomers Should Not Be Blamed for Our Maladies. More on Marriage.
- Cover Illustration