The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
May 1996 Issue - 44 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-7
Collapsing Marriages We Can Do Something about. All That's Lacking Is Will.
- Sidelights, pp. 8-9
Rent-a-Rock. Chilean Americans for English. Making Lieutenant the Hard Way.
- Scan, pp. 10-19
The Marriage-Crime Connection. Felix Unger's Prenuptial Agreement. Adoption and the Col...
- Indicators: Numbers Etc., pp. 20-21
Drug Abuse Relapse. Teen-Mother Crisis? (Not Exactly). Divorce around the Globe.
- Two Views, pp. 22-23
The Troubling Upturn in Drug Abuse Rates after More Than a Decade of Progress. Bill Cli...
- The War between the Sexes, pp. 24-27
Marriage Is a Bridge over the Sexual Divide. As It Rusts Away, Things Are Getting Ugly ...
The Marriage Savers
- We Know How to Repair Most Marriages. What's Needed Is Action., pp. 28-30
- Fatherhood and Marriage , p. 31
- Is the Decline of Marriage Inevitable? , p. 31
- Empathy, Not Therapy , p. 32
- Becoming a Mentor , p. 33
- Building a Covenant , p. 34
- Marriage Behind Bars , p. 34
- Walkaway Wives, p. 35
Overlooked amidst the Catcalling about Deadbeat Dads: Women Initiate Most Divorces.
- Braking Divorce, p. 36
Divorce Should Be Less Easy. Here's Why. Here's How.
- The Backlash against No-Fault Divorce, pp. 37-38
State Legislatures Are Rumbling with New Proposals from Divorce-Busters.
- Divorce's Toll on Children, pp. 39-44
Promoted as Adult Liberation, Divorce Is Punishment for Kids. And Lots of Adults Too.
- Marriage and Happiness, pp. 45-46
Tying the Knot Is Good for You. Here's the Proof.
- Banish the Honeymoon!, pp. 47-49
Why Newlyweds Should Stay Home.
- Beware the Childrearing Manual, pp. 50-51
When It Comes to Raising Children, An Expert Is Sometimes the Worst Person to Ask.
- Raising Children Is a Cottage Industry, pp. 52-54
Very Young Children Need One-on-One Parents, Not Villages. The Israeli Kibbutzniks Prov...
- One Man's Family Values, pp. 55-56
Start at Home, If You Want to Help American Children.
- What Is a Family for?, pp. 57-58
A Psychologist Defends Manipulating, Judging, Discriminating Parents.
- Revive the Orphanage, pp. 59-62
But Don't Expect Any Help from the Child-Development Profession.
- Family Breakdown and the U.S. Military, pp. 63-65
Some of the Government's Most Expensive and Counterproductive Welfare Programs for Fami...
In Real Life: The Daily Work of Americans
- Her Journey from Economist to Mother., p. 66
- Real Poverty and Real Charity in the Great Depression., p. 67
- Juveniles in the Courtroom., p. 68
- The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier., p. 68
- The Importance of Ancestors, Decoration Day, and Family Roots., p. 69
- The Economist, pp. 70-73
Everybody Says a Flat Tax That Eliminates the Mortgage Deduction Would Hurt Homeowners....
- Enterprising: Business as an Imaginative Act, pp. 74-75
The Postal Service Wants to Dip into Lots of New Private Businesses. Don't Let'em.
- Flashback, pp. 76-77
Speaking of Third Parties, Remember George Wallace?
[+] The Program Queen (Review) , pp. 78-79
It Takes a Village, by Hillary Clinton
- It Takes a Village by Hillary Clinton
[+] Democratic Mandarin (Review) , p. 80
The Stevensons, by Jean H Baker
- The Stevensons by Jean H Baker
[+] Harry Truman, Old Democrat (Review) , p. 80
Man of the People, by Alonzo L. Hamby
- Man of the People by Alonzo L. Hamby
[+] Proto-Democrat (Review) , p. 81
Founding Father, by Richard Brookhiser
- Founding Father by Richard Brookhiser
[+] War Stories (Review) , p. 82
The Captive Press, by Ted Galen Carpenter
- The Captive Press by Ted Galen Carpenter
[+] Anti-Statism as a Hate Crime (Review) , p. 83
A Force Upon the Plain, by Kenneth S. Stern
- A Force Upon the Plain by Kenneth S. Stern
[+] Vows or Violence (Review) , pp. 84-85
Lancelot, by Walker Percy
- Lancelot by Walker Percy
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 86-90
Term Limits Are a Venerable Idea....Don't Blame Foreign Trade, Blame Regulation... Sell...
- Opinion Pulse: The Latest Survey Data, pp. 91-94
Definitive Roundup of Exit Polls from the Spring Primaries.
- The Mail, pp. 95-98
Oliver Stone Fires Back. Feedback on the Internet and Talk Radio. Gambling Opponents Sp...
- Cover illustration