Yesterday, I told you about the Tea Party protest scheduled for high noon at the Capitol tomorrow. More groups are joining in.
Update: I’m told the rally will be on the West Lawn of the Capitol. Take note.
GOP congressional leaders, activists, and actor Jon Voight are scheduled to speak:
WASHINGTON, March 18 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — An unprecedented coalition of grassroots and “tea party” groups is launching the final push before a possible vote by the House. Coming together under the auspices of the American Grassroots Coalition, various events held by different groups will be coordinated, including a noon rally at the U.S. Capitol on Saturday, a candlelight vigil and “virtual vigil” leading up to the vote.
“All of the groups have a mutual goal — to band together to communicate the frustration of the people and demand the termination of this health bill legislation,” said Jennifer Hulsey, Co-Founder of American Grassroots Coalition.
The past two weeks has seen the “Take The Town Halls To Washington” initiative get nearly 1,000 people to DC to meet with approximately 30 Congressman. The event culminated in the rally at Taft Park near the Capitol, which was sponsored by Tea Party Express. Over 1,500 people assembled to rally against the health care bill and then meet with their representatives.
While the Capitol Police diverted the stage and sound for the park rally, grass roots activists innovated and used a park bench and bull horn to get their message to the attendees!
The following actions are planned for the next 72 hours:
* Calling campaigns to the House by constituents to vote no on the bill
* “Talk to Washington” health care town halls in Mississippi, Pennsylvania and other states
* Code Red rally in Washington, DC at 12 noon on Saturday at Upper Senate Park
* Nationwide “Virtual Vigil” on BlogTalk radio sponsored by DoctorsandPatients.org
* Candlelight vigil around the Capitol on Saturday night
Featured speakers at the Washington, D.C. Rally on Saturday will include:
* Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann (MN)
* Congressman Tom Price (GA)
* Congressman Joe Wilson (SC)
* Congressman Phil Gingrey (GA)
* State Senator Judson Hill (GA)
* Actor & Activist Jon Voight
* Dr. Milton Wolf, Barack Obama’s second cousin who opposes Obamacare
* Colin Hanna, Let Freedom Ring
* Jim Martin, 60 Plus
* Phil Kerpen, Americans for Prosperity
* Tim Phillips, Americans for Prosperity
* Andrew Langer, Institute for Liberty
* Kathryn Serkes, Doctor Patient Medical Association
* Mark Skoda, Memphis Tea Party
* Amy Kremer, Tea Party Express
* Jennifer Hulsey, American Grassroots Coalition
* FreedomWorks Representative
* Ben Cunningham, Founder of the Tennessee Tax Revolt
* Darla Dawald, Grassfire / Resistnet
Grassroots activists everywhere have worked to inform themselves, notify their representatives of their objections and take action in the form of rallies, meetings and calls into those representatives. Individual groups have worked to stop the health care legislation while coordinating with each other to amplify their message and their efforts.
Amy Kremer, of Tea Party Express, commented, “We had a great rally this week in DC and people have overwhelmed us with their desire to do it again on Saturday. With so many people concerned about this legislation and the ability to come to Washington on a weekend, we are working within this coalition to expand the Code Red rally participation.”
The coalition of Tea Party and grassroots organizations and leadership is committed to changing the dynamics of this legislative process. “The Democratic led Congress is using procedural and legislative rules to ignore the overwhelming opposition to this,” said Mark Skoda of Memphis Tea Party. “The will of the American people is being subverted by these actions and the grass roots activists who make up this coalition are focusing their energy to kill the bill.”
The coalition includes:
* 60 Plus
* Alexandria Tea Party
* American Grassroots Coalition
* Americans for Prosperity
* Americans for Tax Reform
* Cincinnati Tea Party
* Cincinnati 9/12 Project
* Concerned Women for America
* Constitutional Sovereignty Alliance
* Constitutional Tea Party
* Doctor Patient Medical Association
* Family Research Council
* Heartland Institute
* Institute for Liberty
* Let Freedom Ring
* Memphis Tea Party
* Mom for America
* National Center for Public Policy Research
* National Taxpayer’s Union
* Nationwide Tea Party Coalition
* New Jersey Tea Party Coalition
* Northern Virginia 912
* Richmond Patriots
* Take the Town Halls to Washington
* Tea Party Express
* Tea Party Patriots Live Radio Show
* Washington DC Tea Party
* We the People of Pennsylvania
Leave comments or email if you are able to attend.
Looking for transportation? Go here.
Organize a local protest in your town if you can’t make it to D.C.
And bring a Constitution Butchers sign! (Get yours here.)