Raise your hands for DIVERSITY!
I’ve been tweeting up a storm about the rag-tag hordes of crude, lewd, needy, anti-greedy hipsters who have swarmed lower Manhattan in an anarchic campaign to “Occupy Wall Street.” Follow me at @michellemalkin for all the latest revelry.
Since I last blogged about the endless mass sleepover that began on September 17, the “movement” has spread to various blue spots on the map. Prog “celebrities” from Cornel West to Susan Sarandon and Michael Moore all made cameo appearances. Rapper Lupe Fiasco is donating care packages to fulfill the “#needsoftheoccupiers.” Among their wish list items: “Solar panels” and “installers.” That’s not a joke. It’s a real Twitter hashtag. Free advice: Don’t take a look unless you put your drink down in front of the computer.
Big Labor adds its muscle this week, and the saboteurs who work under the “Anonymous” hackers’ umbrella are lurking in the background. The latest joiners: “Occupy College.” Or rather: UN-occupy College. The protesters who gripe about being up their eyeballs in college debt (actually, it’s usually mom and dad who are up to their eyeballs) will protest the squandering of their future by squandering time away from the classroom sipping Snapple, munching Powerbars, Tweeting from their iPads, and bemoaning the homicidal corporatization of America.
One thing you won’t hear the MSM harp on the way they harped about the Tea Party: The overwhelmingly pale face of the “99 percent” movement. Just like their ideological elders in the liberal media, they are a lot more skilled at carping over lack of proportional representation among conservative institutions and the GOP than they are at demonstrating it in their own ranks.
Because I never pass up the opportunity to turn the tables on the sanctimonious bean-counters (see background links below), I commented on progressives of pallor in Matthew Boyle’s latest piece. Excerpt:
Though a few representatives of minority groups have appeared among the “Occupy Wall Street” protesters in New York City, photos and videos of the left-wing mini-throngs indicate they suffer from a serious lack of diversity. And the protesters themselves told The Daily Caller on Tuesday that they are conscious of the issue, if not the inconsistency it demonstrates. A 40-photo Washington Post slideshow showing hundreds of angry protesters in New York and other cities includes no more than 15 clearly identifiable minority protesters, and just six African-Americans. The rest of the protesters shown are white, and most are male. In 26 photos from San Francisco and Chicago gatherings posted on OccupyTogether.org, only one person from a minority group is clearly visible, and it’s unclear whether he is a protester or a bystander. Minority groups are similarly underrepresented in photos and videos posted on OccupyWallSt.org, the self-described “unofficial de facto online resource for the ongoing protests happening on Wall Street.”
…The protesters have taken to calling themselves the “99 percent” in the country, labeling the capitalists they wish to remove from power the other “1 percent.” Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin told TheDC that the Occupy Wall Street protesters’ self-description as the “99 percent” in America is ironic because the crowds are mostly white.
“When Occupy Wall Street activists call themselves the ‘99 percent,’ it turns out they mean 99 percent non-diverse (by their own politically correct measurements),” Malkin said in an email.
“It’s as pale out there at Camp Alinsky as MSNBC’s prime-time lineup or the New York Times editorial board. Not counting the cameos by Jesse Jackson and Cornel West, that is.”
…“The liberal media will only engage in racial bean-counting of protest crowds when it serves their political ends: Namely, painting the Right as homogenous and non-inclusive,” Malkin said. “We heard endless derision about the tea party’s lack of skin-color diversity from Hollywood and the national press. But not a peep about the Abercrombie & Fitch-meets-Apple central casting mob swamping lower Manhattan.”
Live by bean-counting, die by bean-counting.