The Unz Review: An Alternative Media Selection
A Collection of Interesting, Important, and Controversial Perspectives Largely Excluded from the American Mainstream Media
 Robert Trivers Archive
Wild Life: Surviving an Armed Home Invasion Robbery
🔊 Listen RSS
Email This Page to Someone

Remember My Information

=>

Bookmark Toggle AllToCAdd to LibraryRemove from Library • BShow CommentNext New CommentNext New ReplyRead More
ReplyAgree/Disagree/Etc. More... This Commenter This Thread Hide Thread Display All Comments
AgreeDisagreeLOLTroll
These buttons register your public Agreement, Disagreement, Troll, or LOL with the selected comment. They are ONLY available to recent, frequent commenters who have saved their Name+Email using the 'Remember My Information' checkbox, and may also ONLY be used once per hour.
Ignore Commenter Follow Commenter
Search Text Case Sensitive  Exact Words  Include Comments
List of Bookmarks

[Excerpted from Chapter 14 of Wild Life: Adventures of an Evolutionary Biologist by Prof. Robert Trivers.]

The low point in my relationship with Jamaica came fairly recently.

In 2007 I won the Crafoord Prize from the Swedish Royal Society. It was worth $500,000. When it was announced in the local Jamaican newspaper, I knew immediately that I had a brand new problem on the island. Although the paper had gotten most of the details wrong, including having me as a Jamaican who had migrated to the U.S. to study lizards, it got the sum of money I had been awarded correct. Most people downgraded it in their mind to US$5000 or its Jamaican equivalent, US$10,000, but even this was a large enough sum that, were I stupid enough to store it at home, my place would be well worth robbing.

ORDER IT NOW

Sure enough, in the spring of 2008 I returned to my home from a local bar to a most unwelcome experience. It was ten thirty at night. Luckily, I had been in the bar with my computer, working on my self-deception book (Folly of Fools) because I preferred writing surrounded by company to writing alone. This meant that I had only been smoking and drinking very modestly, and this may have helped saved my life.

I unlocked the door to my bedroom, turned on the lights, opened the windows for fresh air, and left the bedroom door wide open as usual. Still feeling strong of mind and body, I decided to pack for my trip to Montego Bay the next day. I was supposed to fly out of the country early the following morning, and if I pack the day before I still have the chance to remember what I’ve forgotten before it’s too late. Suddenly I had the uncomfortable feeling that I was not alone in my bedroom. I turned and saw two ugly young darkskinned men in their twenties just inside the room. My thoughts must have raced because I remember thinking very quickly – where am I? In China? In some warp in the space-time continuum? No. Had I forgotten an appointment, as I often do? No – since when was I meeting with two butt-ugly young men in my bedroom at ten thirty at night?

Then I saw that one had a machete and the other a long knife. Ah ohh, I said to myself, bending back slightly – I know what this is, this is an armed robbery. Simultaneously I drew a long straight strong encased Brazilian sixinch blade knife from the right side of my pants, blade pointed toward the right testicle. As they spotted my knife their faces went from terror-inducing to terror-expressing, and they just managed to escape my room before I could corner either. In fact, I went straight at the cutlass man since he was the more vulnerable, within two feet of him he could do no more than slap me on my back, while I could slash him to death. The other was more “problematic.”

I had never thought about this possibility in more than fifteen years living there. My house lay at the end of a long dirt driveway off of a one-way lane to the main road, some half a kilometer below. Since, as it turned out, they were both local boys, it hardly seemed credible (in retrospect) that I was meant to survive the robbery. They could not say, “Well, den, Marse Bob, see you in the square tomorrow.” Also it is a well-known fact of human psychology that the longer someone holds you under control, the crueler they become and the likelier to indulge in “the final solution.” I always tell people, especially women under sexual attack, counter-attack at once and make a big noise to attract people – do not submit, and for God’s sake do not be taken captive. Attack and scream to draw people, otherwise matters only get worse. Begging for mercy often merely excites the aggression it seeks to avert.

Once they scurried out the front door, I locked it behind them. Then the true terror began. Since I had not come running out with a gun to blast a few shots at them, they surmised correctly that I was unarmed. It also turned out that I only had the knife because someone had very foolishly locked my personal fighting machete into the tool shed out back. Now the men wanted to re-enter the house. They began with soft knocking and absurd entreaties such as, “Let us in, we are the police.”

Now I panicked. I had a huge one-floor house with numerous jalousie windows that could easily be entered by removing or smashing the glass panels. Then it would be two against one – as it was before – but without any element of surprise from me. That I had dozens of empty wine bottles escaped my notice entirely. Each was more dangerous than a knife, and in combination, throwing some broken bottles at close quarters and lunging with others, one could counter a machete. Having never envisioned this situation I had never planned for it, and that was a critical failing on my part.

I then made a most unwise decision. I abandoned my house in order to run out back and head down a hill full of old trees and bushes, nearly impenetrable and completely safe – if I could reach it. Alas, the boys were on that side of the house. I’ll never forget the sight of a machete held high, gleaming in the moonlight as they took off after me. I slipped and fell but my Filipino martial arts teachers (Arnis) had taught me what to do in that situation: I was to pretend I was riding a bicycle upside-down, while flashing my blade in every direction. The kicking feet divert your attacker while you attack.

Sure enough, it worked. I put my knife through the calf of the taller thief, who had landed closer to me than was wise, while I cut the shorter one across his throat as he leaned over to attack me – alas not deeply enough to kill him. Both ran off, and I returned to my house. But I was so terrified that I couldn’t be certain if they had run away, as they had, or were lurking around for a second attack.

I had called the police early on, and they had promised to send a car. It was a scant ten-minute drive from the police station to my house, but it took them a full hour to reach my yard. When they finally did, they kept quiet at the edge until I came out on the porch at which point they apparently decided it was safe to enter because they turned on their police lights and approached.

One officer stayed in the vehicle the entire time, while the other one wanted to search my home on the basis of the blood trail leading out of it. I pointed out that the blood came from my own wound (wounded by myself as I thrashed my knife around upside down) so it merely tracked my movements. But I couldn’t deter him from entering my home. I at least prevented him from entering my bedroom, which he was eager to do.

At no time did he search the outside premises, ask to see where the near-fatal encounter had occurred – where we would have found a slipper that I found in the morning, which indicated the youths came from nearby – nor did he walk around the house and notice the broken bathroom window where they had were preparing to enter right before I rushed out. The police drove off, and that was it.

I spent the night at a friend’s home. Mr. Cameron was a school principal with whom I had worked for many years. He had a licensed gun, and his wife tended to my wound, but I was well frightened by then and no amount of safety felt like enough. Later, I was to marvel that I’d never thought to call Mr. Cameron while the incident was unfolding – far closer than the police, far more in the know, and far more on my side. That kind of blindness can kill you, but luckily, in this case, it didn’t.

My assailants were arrested, but after the arrests the detective called to say that I owed him a computer in payment. I got “rahtid,” as we say in Jamaica – extremely angry. If the thieves don’t get your money, the police will. I told him not to raise the issue with me again. He said it was for his daughter. I again told him not to raise the subject with me. So he sold the case out on the bottom side. The employer and pastor of one of the men and a friend of the other put together the $500 necessary to buy off two five-year prison felonies. When they were brought on for trial they looked around scared and asked, “Did the white man come?” The detective said no. He had in fact deprived me of the right to testify by never informing me of the court date. The charge was downgraded to a $130 fine for robbing a man in the public square by threatening him with a machete.

ORDER IT NOW

The other day I met a Jamaican of around my age who had just sold his home and a second house he owned in Ft. Lauderdale in order to retire to Jamaica. Ahh, I said, you are finally enjoying your dream of retiring to Jamaica! “No,” he said, “I’m leaving this coming Thursday to return to Ft. Lauderdale. Here is way too dangerous.” After dark, he said, even when it was his wife or daughter knocking to ask entrance, he could never be sure there wasn’t a man there too, holding a gun to her head as she was requesting entry.

Nobody is running me out of Jamaica – as Huey Newton’s father put it, you have to take a killing but you don’t have to take a beating. I have not yet taken a beating and hope I never will. As for a killing, I am seventy-two years old. If it comes, it comes. It would certainly cost me less in lost years than a lot of others I’ve known and continue to mourn, men like Be-be and G and Peter Tosh, women like Celestine, and many, many others.

(Republished from Wild Life by permission of author or representative)

• Category: Science • Tags: Jamaica, Wild Life
Hide 69 CommentsLeave a Comment
Commenters to Ignore...to FollowEndorsed Only
Trim Comments?
    []
  1. Polymath says:

In stories like this, there is no reason for the writer not to give the full names and other identifying information for the criminals and the corrupt officials who allowed them to go free. The fact that he didn’t do this makes me suspect exaggeration.

2. @Polymath

You must be a complete fool. The last thing you do in a third world country is get the local police thugs down on you. You really don’t have any rights as a stranger and they have all the power.

• Agree: Kyle a
    • Replies: @AndrewR
  3. a tale well-told. And not a shred of a doubt the local police were in on it for a cut of the loot. Still, small potatoes compared to the asset-forfeiture racket the cops run in ‘murka

4. JEC says:

Only a fool would move to Jamaica voluntarily.

• Agree: BB753, Stan D Mute
    • Replies: @Wally
    , @Che Guava
  5. …Since I had not come running out with a gun to blast a few shots at them, they surmised correctly that I was unarmed….

This article is all anyone needs to know about the nature of a government that restricts the right of its citizens to arm themselves.

6. @Polymath

It doesn’t seem exaggerated to anyone who has spent time in a third world country. When I lived in India I was told, in no uncertain terms, to never visit a police station alone. We were only to approach the police in the company of an influential local. Foreigners (and others) have been robbed or raped when trying to report a stolen wallet for insurance purposes.

• Replies: @foo
    , @Jay
  7. Pat Casey says:

Great story. Next stop Amazon. BUT, would that someone would make me an editor! You need not be modest a mite after all that. “Now I panicked.” The hell you did. Better to say, Jarred me that, or My gut buckled, or Adrenaline double-amped, best of all though Now I was really pissed. BETTER because fuckin ay it’s truer. I’ve panicked at gunpoint and the word is “submit.” Brave enough to unmake those monkeys your big enough to wear Hemingway’s shoes, that style. Absolutely. Well done.

• Replies: @vinteuil
  8. vinteuil says:

Interesting story, but I don’t quite see the point.

Trivers concludes, “If it comes, it comes” – echoing Hamlet’s “If it be now, ’tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come.”

Personally, I think a more apropos Shakespeherian reference would be “Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise.”

9. Rehmat says:

Had Robert Trivers had compared his “experience” with statics on home robbery, sexual abuse of minors or women, and murder in White-majority United States – he would have found Jamaica as peanuts.

According to women’s right groups, “a woman is raped every 90 seconds in United States”. Don’t forget the US is home to world’s largest population of LGBT (28 million). America has highest numbers of citizen deaths (11,320 in 2013) as result of robberies, house-hold conflicts, fight over girlfriend, and police killing of the so-called “home grown terrorists”, mostly Muslims and Blacks. United States also has the honor of having world’s highest numbers of “jail birds” (2.1% of country’s total population) – followed by China.

Jamaican could be excused for such crimes based on poverty, lack of education, etc. But what excuse Whites in the US and Canada have? Some highest educated White folks have done heinous sexual acts believing they’re required by their Christian faith. Take for example, professor Julie Macfarlane (University of Windsor, Ontario) provided oral sex to her priest at age 16 for over one year, believing Bible demanded that.

10. bomag says:
    @Polymath

This is unfair. To go with full names and official reports distracts from the message of the narrative.

It is an entirely plausible and reasonable account. It tells of one man’s personal experience with crime.

11. Sherman says:

I stayed at a resort in Jamaica years ago. The resort was nice as it was gated and secure.

However, I was stupid to go on tours of the surrounding area. Jamaica is physically beautiful but it is a scary and dangerous place. It’s not the type of place you want to wander around in.

I will never visit Jamaica again and it is pure insanity for a westerner to live there, especially if they are not in a gated and protected community.

• Replies: @Puffdaddy
    , @AndrewR
  12. vinteuil says:
    @Pat Casey

Mr Casey: do I understand correctly that you’re offering your services as an editor to somebody or other?

• Replies: @Pat Casey
  13. Puffdaddy says:

So…let me get this straight. This story has nothing to do with the fact that it took place in Jamaica and the assailants happened to be black? A little honesty about HBD from a scientist would be helpful and make this story less disingenuous. It can happen to “anyone” who is in the vicinity of Jamaica or people of color.

14. vinteuil says:
    @Rehmat

Mr Rehmat – if you wish to influence public opinion in America, you might want to consider employing an editor who speaks English as a first language. I believe that Pat Casey is available.

• Replies: @Rehmat
  15. foo says:
    @Nikolai Vladivostok

India ? What a gullible fucking retard you are. Yes, the police are corrupt there but your danger from Indian police is about the danger from the Nantucket police, i.e. none. India ain’t bwana land.

• Replies: @Nikolai Vladivostok
  16. pyrrhus says:
    @Polymath

The author is still living in Jamaica–now do you understand??

17. Puffdaddy says:
    @Sherman

My Jamaican nanny always lamented the fact that the British left Jamaica, and she one of my white, progressive friends who has never been to Jamaica overheard her and tried to “educate” her about the evils of Colonialism, she laughed in his face. It was a beautiful moment I will treasure forever.

18. Wally says: • Website
    @JEC

Precisely.

Danger from blacks & browns is the precise reason why white ‘liberals’ avoid living in black & brown areas, they just can’t bring themselves to admit it.

19. Che Guava says:
    @JEC

Ian Fleming did. I think numerous others also did, not all white.

• Replies: @Bill Jones
  20. @Rehmat

Perhaps, Rehmat, you might note that the horrific statistics you cite are overwhelmingly connected to people whose skin color is the same as found in Jamaica, man.

Caucasians in the USA have the same (low) crime rate as everyone whose ancestors lived in Northern Europe.

Even a Harvard professor had to admit that most rape allegations at US colleges involve black (alleged) perpetrators.

Your anecdotes fail the test of persuasion.

• Replies: @Rehmat
  21. @Rehmat

Google “Knoxville Horror” if you wish to engage in a war of anecdote, and immerse yourself in the final hours of Channon Christian & Christopher Newsom.

Perhaps you might grasp, then, why some white people have a serious reliance on jacketed hollow points.

22. This story is part and parcel of why no law could disarm anyone who understands reality.

The part I don’t get is that everywhere that harbors crime of the nature and frequency of that in Jamaica usually has “upper class” people living in homes that are virtual fortresses.

Sure, in the USA most of us live in homes that would be trivially simple to break into, but head to Argentina and everyone who is not dirt poor lives behind barred windows, high walls and solidly locked doors.

All it would take is one home invasion in my neighborhood to cause a massive wave of door replacements (in favor of fortress-like installations.)

Of course, in the meantime it’s likely that the invader(s) would be carried out in body bags. My neighbors are probably typical Americans and many no doubt are well armed.

23. Jay says:
    @Nikolai Vladivostok

When I worked in Brasil, I did a project surveying local fishermen along the northeast coast for sightings of manatees. In one locale a medical doctor drove me around to various villages. When he stopped at a police station to leave some medicine for a patient there, he took a pistol from the glove compartment and slipped it into his waistband before going into the station. On his return to the car he put the gun back where it had been. I asked him why he took it in. He replied that for him the place where he was most likely to need the gun was in the police station.

24. Jay says:
    @Rehmat

I see that the epigraph for your blog is: “There is no compulsion in religion,” – Holy Qur’an.

That sentiment sufficiently explains why your commentary is absurd.

• Replies: @Rehmat
  25. Rehmat says:
    @vinteuil

Sorry darling, you’re too late. Five years ago, American Jewish writer Roger Tucker offered me his services free of cost, which I politely rejected. As a Canadian engineer, I don’t need some idiot to be my scriptwriter. Roger Tucker is owner of “Palestine One State” website.

Shalom, any way!

Roger Tucker in an article, titled, “The One State Solution sounds like a good idea, but..” , which is closer to my ‘option’ – pointed out the past history of Islamic tolerance toward Jews and Christians and how both Israelis and Palestinians could benefit from it: “Zionism, prior to the ascendance of Jabotinskian fanaticism and terrorism in Palestine about 80 years ago, envisioned a cooperative, bi-national state. It was not that long ago. The ridiculous notion that “they’ve always hated and fought one another,” another objection that one often hears, is just one of many facile inventions of Zionist propaganda. Barring relatively brief eruptions of tribal and religious strife, like the Crusades, the siblings of the Abrahamic tradition (outside of Europe at least) have gotten along rather swimmingly for the last 1,500 years, i.e., since the birth of Islam, which has traditionally respected and been hospitable to both Christians and Jews.

Roger Tucker believes Israeli Jews, after eventually becoming a minority, would retain economic clout as well as dominance in politics and other field, as the White African have in South Africa. “And a Jewish culture, with its multifarious institutions, customs and traditions would coexist with its Palestinian counterpart, enriching both but threatening neither. Why he is sure of that, because: ” Fortunately for the Israelis, the Palestinians have proven themselves to be an extremely decent, tolerant and amazingly patient people. In general, they show remarkably little animosity towards Jewish people, and the remaining hotheads, on both sides, could be dealt with”.

26. Rehmat says:
    @dc.sunsets

I never expected some pro-Israel White racist to accept the historic fact that before the European Whites found Americana by accident – over 100 million colored people already lived on that continent.

Crypto-Jew Christopher Columbus wrote in his diary that on October 21, 1492 while his ship was sailing near Gibara on the north-east coast of Cuba, he saw a mosque on top of a beautiful mountain……

Muslims make only 0.1% of the total Cuban population. But the communist regime has refused to allow Muslims to build even a single mosque. Cuba is not worse than Greece which was ruled by Turkey for over three centuries. There used to be over 70 mosques in Athens City, which were destroyed one by one after it came under Christian rule in 1821. The city is home to over 700,000 Muslims. Contrary to that, Greece is home to less than 3,000 Jews, and they still have one Beth Shalom synagogue built in 1860…..

27. Here’s a self defense story that’s not getting the media time it should: it even has video but because it’s non PC it doesn’t air (except a local Fox affiliate)

28. @Che Guava

Jamaica was a crown colony until ’62, it took the locals a while to get up to speed on the corruption thing.

Fleming died in ’64.

29. J1234 says:

Trivers should’ve let them know he was a member of the Black Panthers. They might’ve left him alone.

30. Eustace Tilley (not) [AKA "Schiller/Nietzsche"] says:
    @Rehmat

“…before the European Whites found Americana by accident – over 100 million colored people already lived on that continent.”

“…Columbus wrote in his diary that on October 21, 1492 while…near Gibara on the north-east coast of Cuba, he saw a mosque on top of a beautiful mountain…”

1. There is no such continent as “Americana”.
    2. Do you really believe there were “over 100 million colored people” in “Americana”?
    3. The “Crypto-Jew” (bad! bad!) Columbus died still believing he had reached Asia. If he reported seeing a “mosque” from his poop deck (get it?), why do you find that so authoritative a description?
    4. The Islamic World, the source of so much civilizational excellence during “our” Middle Ages (algebra, alchemy, alcohol, Almagest, Aldebaran, etc.), fell behind during “our” Renaissance and stayed there. Wonder why?

• Replies: @Rehmat
  31. Alfa158 says:
    @Rehmat

Factually nonsense.

” he would have found Jamaica as peanuts.”
    United Nations stats on murder rates:
    Jamaica: 39.3 per 100,000
    U.S.: 3.8
    United Kingdom; 1.0
    U.S. FBI murder rate for US Whites only: 1.2
    In Jamaica you are 10 times as likely to be murdered as in the U.S. If you are white you are 32 times as likely to be murdered.

“America has highest numbers of citizen deaths (11,320 in 2013)”
    Again, UN stats on murder numbers by ranking:
    Brazil; 50,100
    India: 43,300
    Nigeria: 33,800
    Mexico: 26,000
    Congo: 18,500
    South Africa: 16,200
    Venezuela: 16,000
    Colombia: 14,600
    Pakistan: 13,800
    China: 13,400
    Russia: 12,700
    U.S. ; 12,200

“a woman is raped every 90 seconds in United States”
    US has 84,000 rapes per year or one every 370 seconds. Women’s right groups derive their number from the Andrea Dworkin definition of sexual assault: All heterosexual activity is defined as rape.

Homosexuals exaggerate their numbers for political power, there aren’t 28 million in the US. Scientific studies have demonstrated that homosexuality is not a cultural artifact, but a genetic defect present in 3% of males and 1.5% of females. Transsexuals are a tiny additional increment to those numbers. Actual numbers for countries with the most can therefore be calculated as:
    China: 29,250,000
    India: 27,000,000
    U.S. : 7,425,000

China has a large prison population because it has evolved from a Communist dictatorship to a Fascist one that still jails political opposition but now has enough wealth for non political crimes as well. The US prison population is large because, as in every other country in the world, non Asian, non-Whites commit crimes disproportionately, and we have plenty of them now in the U.S.

You can’t throw nonsense like that out on this website without being called on it with facts that are only a click away on the internet. Too many smart people who don’t drink Kool-Aid.
    Allow me to recommend Salon.com.

• Agree: Bill Jones, dc.sunsets
  32. Svigor says:

Muslims who can, escape the Muslim world. Millions of them, pouring out of Syria, bound for civilization.

Some of them are mental defectives who make it all the way to Canada and start blogs about how much better the Muslim civilization they fled is than the western civilization they fled to. Bizarre, but that’s Muslims for you.

33. AndrewR says:

It would be nice to read a comment section without completely unprovoked personal attacks.

34. AndrewR says:
    @Thomas O. Meehan

From reading through your comments, you seem quite intelligent. It is thus a shame that you resort to unprovoked personal attacks. You can be above that.

• Replies: @Thomas O. Meehan
    , @5371
  35. Rehmat says:
    @Eustace Tilley (not)

The professional Israeli hasbara idiots are so dumb, they cannot even prove their lies.

Unless you believe that CNN and Huffington Post is owned by Muslim Brotherhood – then Christopher Columbus was as Crypto-Jewish as John Kerry.

36. attonn says:

Obviously, the author made a very poor personal decision to retire in a third-world hellhole. I suspect it will not end up well.

• Replies: @fnn
  37. AndrewR says:
    @Sherman

Here I thought Jamaica was in the West… Hmmm. Ok.

Would it be sane for an easterner to live there?

A southerner?

A northerner?

A Southsouthwesterner?

38. fnn says:
    @attonn

A wacky genius. He was a close friend of Huey Newton and a white member of the Black Panther Party.

39. Rehmat says:
    @Jay

I see Talmud says: “Thanks G-d for not making me a Gentile, a Woman, or Slave.”

Doesn’t that sum up Israeli Jewish barbarism and hatred against Gentile, Women, and African?

Learn the 8 places Jewish women are discriminated in Israel.

40. cato says:

Trivers has made amazing contributions to evolutionary science. But, in the end, all of us poor mortals try to make sense of a very complicated world, using very small brains. The poor dude became a black radical in the late 1970s. In a way, he is the poster child of a foolish white liberal holding delusional views of our African brothers. Perhaps this personal nightmare was some kind of karmic payback.

• Replies: @Clyde
  41. robt says:
    @Rehmat

What on earth does that have to do with the crime rate, police response, and corruption in Jamaica?

42. joe webb says:

.40 pistol, the best handgun. Binelli M-4, best semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun ( up to 7 cartridges )

Joe Webb

• Replies: @dc.sunsets
  43. @AndrewR

I try to be moderate in my commenting. That said, I was so astounded at the recklessness of this Polymath’s comment that I felt compelled to react. You really can get killed following such a mind-set. Humbug should be called out at times, and that seemed to be one of them.

I can have no idea in what spirit the comment was made and I’m perfectly willing to believe that it was meant well. I regret any personal hurt if there was any.

• Replies: @Clyde
    , @AndrewR
  44. Pat Casey says:
    @vinteuil

Yes, funny marks of my own around here notwithstanding.

45. 5371 says:
    @AndrewR

Aren’t you a homo? Is that why you are so prissy?

• Agree: Stephen R. Diamond
    • Replies: @AndrewR
  46. Anonymous • Disclaimer says:

Does anyone else recall the tourist ads for Jamaica “Jamaica the way it used to be”. These were televised after “natives” machine gunned tourists on a golf course.

47. conatus says:

Wow! Hats off to the Professor who wins a knife fight!! They broke the mold when they made this guy. He ain’t no hothouse academic naif!
    All I would add is the element of being absolutely certain you are in the right plays a part. We in the West are always being told to doubt ourselves and our perceptions regarding others. Many years ago, in Northeast DC, my wife left the bars to the back door open, and left the back door open also, so it was an invitation to come on in for anyone walking by in the alley. Previously I had bicycle locked the eight foot high stockade fence to the back yard.
    So wearing my painters overalls, coming downstairs carrying a cardboard box full of paint rollers I was absolutely certain the Bla*k guy standing in my kitchen was absolutely wrong and meant me no good. I dropped the box and asked him what he wanted as I advanced in his direction. But I was sure i was right and he was wrong. He had come over the locked stockade fence, there was no question about it. He knew it too. He had not yet been schooled in being unjustly wronged by the Narrator in the Sky and so he backed down, said he wanted some wood. I said ‘go ahead’ and he walked out downstairs out the back door, picked up a baseball sized log and hopped the fence like he was a high jumper at a high school track meet.
    So that is my point, in so many daily interactions in this multiculti world we are taught to reconsider and doubt and think again. Are we being unfair? oppressive? are we disparately impacting? …or microagressing?… but in this situation there was no question in my mind, I was right.
    That absolute certainty wins . We have lost that in our culture and are taught over and over by the Cultural Narrator in the Sky that we should hesitate and reconsider. Don’t discriminate. Don’t make a choice. Don’t make a decision.
    And like the Knife-fighting professor says if you hesitate and let them take control(like ‘the authorities have counseled us to do for the last 50 years) you are screwed.

• Replies: @dc.sunsets
  48. JackOH says:

Major props to Prof. Trivers for exercising his primal right to self-defense. About two years ago, I had a possible home invasion by an intoxicated, belligerent guy banging on my door and shouting early in the morning. I had my French-made Douk-douk knife. Long story short: it’s amazing what primal fear can do to focus one’s attention. He stood down, I stood down, and, more or less, that was the end of it.

Back in the 1960s, my Mom, recently widowed, defended herself against a drunken assailant at her front door with a .22 caliber revolver she’d bought by mail order. She didn’t fire a shot. Her presentation of the weapon, her determined attitude, the intervening door, and the extreme intoxication of the assailant (he passed out) contributed to her successful defense. The assailant was a career criminal with a record of violent crime.

I haven’t been a gun owner for thirty-some years. But, our statist liberals who want to abridge the Second Amendment are wrong, just plain wrong.

49. @joe webb

.40? Meh. Consensus is that it wears out guns faster for no significant benefit.

Binelli? Never heard of it. Of course, the Benelli M4 is way cool, but for its price point why not get a decent AR? 30 rounds of Federal bonded or 77 gr OTM vs 7 rds, effective from contact to hundreds of yards vs contact to 100-ish, and virtually no recoil vs substantial? Or just save nearly a grand and buy a used Remington 870.

OTOH, this anecdote proves the first rule of modern combat: start with a loaded gun…and any gun is better than no gun at all, even a 19th century cap-and-ball revolver or a double-barrel shotgun.

• Replies: @joe webb
  50. @conatus

Last winter my wife and I were “accosted” by a black guy just as we got into our car after a dinner out.

The guy came out of nowhere (I try to be very aware of surroundings) and, standing right outside my door in 15 deg F weather spun some unintelligible story about needing a ride to a bus station or his sister’s house.

He was lucky. Had anyone approached the car from my peripheral vision, or my wife noted that we were being boxed, the guy on my side would have been in deep do-do.

What was in retrospect an aggressive pan-handle might have ended badly for him…and then complicated my life immensely.

Times no longer allow people to be trusting.

51. Clyde says:
    @Thomas O. Meehan

You said nothing wrong and your tone was OK.

• Replies: @AndrewR
  52. AndrewR says:
    @5371

hurrr hurrr hurrrrrr funny bro

Don’t say anything to me you wouldn’t say to my face.

• Replies: @5371
  53. AndrewR says:
    @Thomas O. Meehan

Always attack the argument not the person.

I agree it would be foolish to name names if the author still lives in Jamaica. It wasn’t clear to me that he does though, and it wasn’t clear that polymath thought he did.

54. AndrewR says:
    @Clyde

I highly doubt you like it when people insult you personally. Part of adulthood is learning to disagree civilly.

• Replies: @Clyde
  55. joe webb says:
    @dc.sunsets

I am not a very well informed firearms guy. Got the AR, if you mean the .223, plus a few more somethings, and people kept telling me that I did not have a shotgun, so I looked around, discovered the Benelli was highly praised, and could afford it, so I got it at about $1750 (other stores in my area…priced it at $2500). As you know , you can empty the M-4 in about a long second, assuming you can keep your targets in sight.

Tell me about how the .40s wearing out please. I don’t go to the range much at all, so I guess my .40s will hold up under these conditions.

thanks Joe Webb

56. Anonymous • Disclaimer says:
    @Rehmat

Jackass, Black men are 4% of the entire population of the united states but commit 57% of all that violent crime you ascribe to Whites. Shut your 3rd world pie hole until you do some real research. Without Blacks and other muds, crime in the US is extremely low. Whites gave civilization to the world and instead of thanking us, blacks and browns seek to kill us. Bunch of ungrateful savages.

57. 5371 says:
    @AndrewR

Who appointed you to the tone police? Piss off.

58. Anon • Disclaimer says:
    @Rehmat

Your comment may be the stupidest I have ever read. In fact blacks in general and Jamaicans in particular commit vastly more crime then whites. And there is no excuse for it at all!

• Replies: @Eustace Tilley (not)
  59. Anon • Disclaimer says:

Here in Toronto a vast amount of violent crime is committed by Jamaicans, out of all proportion to their numbers.

60. Eustace Tilley (not) [AKA "Schiller/Nietzsche"] says:
    @Anon

There is an excuse for it.

Scientific experiments have proved that blacks have trouble with “impulse control”: They find it harder to resist desire than whites, harder to deal with “delayed gratification”.

Example: In experiments, white and black children were offered the option of choosing to win either one candy bar now, or two candy bars later. More blacks preferred to have one candy bar now than the whites, who were more able to wait a while for double the reward.

If one looks at the real world with “race realist” glasses, we all see the trouble blacks are constantly getting into due to lack of impulse control. I worked very briefly with a black here in Pittsford, NY. Three employees had the key to the locked closet where the batteries were stored: He, me (a longtime and trusted employee), and our boss. One day, some batteries went missing from the closet. He was the only likely suspect, and he must have known it, but he stole the batteries anyway and got fired. He just couldn’t help himself.

Blacks find it harder to resist the strong impulse to get drunk, get high, commit a robbery or a rape, etc. Still skeptical? Black men are about 4% of the US population, yet they commit most of the forcible rapes!

61. Clyde says:
    @cato

Lets give Professor Trievers http://roberttrivers.com/Welcome.html credit for coming out on top here and being forthright about his black Jamaican assailants. I see zero bullsht from him here and his karmic shield was intact that day. He might be a small percentage black, partly explaining why he had a second home in Jamaica.

• Replies: @cato
  62. @Nikolai Vladivostok

Foo is unforgivably abusive but has a point. India is not a tinpot African dictatorship. Those are isolated news reports in a population of 1.2 billion from remote rural police stations where dirt poor rural women were assaulted by local cops. And the national media were on top of it.

As a foreigner (and a white man) you would have been unassailable and would have been helped professionally. Somebody was having you on. Knowing a bit about street culture and life in Delhi (arguably the least safe city in India for women) and having dealt with Delhi cops after a hotel room robbery, I’m OK, as a Westerner, with Indian cops.

• Replies: @Singh
  63. Singh says:
    @PiltdownMan

No bro, India is a savage jungle colony where tigers eat kids, people sell their women just to eat & there’s someone taking a shit everywhere you look.

Any of the ‘wealth’ can be explained by the barbaric caste system & non abrahamic hindu religion.

BBC told me so plus, did you know we in england send them 3 billion a year (to ngos) by jove, it funds their entire military, nuke & space programs.

Some Hindu national will just tell you ngos are there to convert poor people or spread rebellion; or that India gives 1.5 billion in aid to others but, he’s just a snake charmer who stole someone’s iPhone.

Any ‘real’ Indian will tell you India was much better with the raj (going from 30% to 2% world gdp).

If it wasn’t for those bloody ‘Sikhs’ & their talks of a United ‘motherland’ bastards.

64. @Rehmat

You’ll credit anything if it supports you, but are you truly so oblivious of your audience?

[Do you think you’ll get your 27 virgins for upholding the cause, even if your opponents laugh at you?]

65. Anonymous • Disclaimer says:
    @Rehmat

You are cherry picking. Also, poverty is not a reason to excuse crime. There are many poor places in the world that have a very low level of crime. Spiritual poverty my friend.

66. Anonymous [AKA "Jay Friedheim"] says:

I’ve been knowing Trivers for just about 40 years.

I’m in San Franciso tonight and reading this has kept me up into the wee hours .

What a story
    What a life
    What a guy

Brother Huey is beaming with pride from beyond

Same with W D Hamilton

Wish I was there with enough balls to have tried to help out.

Screw the analysis , Psycho dynamics and spin.

What an incredible moment in one of the truly great lives of our times.

Inspires me to get up from the wheel chair ride my existence has become, throw away my imaginary crutches and jump back into fray of what’s left of my life.

“They whisper his name from State to Stae a price was on his head, t’was like in the Wild West days of yore, double if he was dead.”

From the poem “Becky ” by
    W . C . Brown

Current Commenter
says:

Leave a Reply - Comments on articles more than two weeks old will be judged much more strictly on quality and tone

Remember My InformationWhy?
 Email Replies to my Comment
Submitted comments become the property of The Unz Review and may be republished elsewhere at the sole discretion of the latter
Subscribe to This Comment Thread via RSS Subscribe to All Robert Trivers Comments via RSS