Open Thread 89
Search Text Case Sensitive Exact Words Include Comments
List of Bookmarks
OK’ing the Russian Occupation Government from the 52nd floor of Federation Tower.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- Book Review: Arthur K. Kroeber – China’s Economy
- Navalny’s “Smart Vote” Won the Moscow Opposition Just 3 Seats (Out of 45)
- A Second Interstellar Object Has Almost Certainly Been Found In Our Solar System
- Houthi strike on Saudi oil installation cuts half of its production
- spandrell: “contrary to expectations and previous news reports, no evidence was found of pro-Chinese-state automation on Twitter. Automation on Twitter was associated with anti-Chinese-state perspectives”
- ComProp. n.d. “Chinese Computational Propaganda: Automation, Algorithms and the Manipulation of Information about Chinese Politics on Twitter and Weibo.” The Computational Propaganda Project. Accessed September 15, 2019.
- Wikileaks: “Magistrate says Assange to remain in prison indefinitely.”
- Leroy, Frédéric, and Nathan Cofnas. 2019. “Should Dietary Guidelines Recommend Low Red Meat Intake?” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, September, 1–10.
- Not sure Bolton’s replacement is a big deal. He’ll be replaced by another neocon. Also, his signature move – pulling the plug on the INF Treaty – was good for Russia.
- AFP: France says ‘time has come’ to ease tensions with Russia
- Biohackinfo: Russia wants a “new society” of gene-edited babies
- BNE: Ozon battling it out for e-commerce supremacy
- WSJ: As Beijing and Moscow Grow Closer, the Neighbors Grow Wary
- “Meeting with Russia’s Vladimir Putin this week, the leaders of Japan and India share a goal: prying him away from China“
- SCMP: China and Russia to edge closer to reducing US dollar reliance with Moscow set to launch first yuan bond
- Ironically it looks like the first Russian fast food chain to trial Beyond Meat will be the traditionalist Teremok chain.
- DNR gets a Nicholas II statue.
- Jihadi Julian is a walking “Our Blessed Homeland vs. Their Barbarous Wastes” meme.
- PressTV: China updates deal to invest $400 billion in Iran (based on this)
- Note that this happens just a few months after China appeased US neocons by forbidding Kunlun Bank from handling Iran payments, severely crimping Iran’s oil exports & foreign currency earnings.
- And according to this: ““This will include up to 5,000 Chinese security personnel on the ground in Iran to protect Chinese projects, and there will be additional personnel and material available to protect the eventual transit of oil, gas and petchems supply from Iran to China, where necessary, including through the Persian Gulf,” says the Iranian source.“
- This is significant, because Iran has always been touchy about foreign troops on its soil – Constitution downright bars foreign bases (part of why Russia’s bomber presence in Iran, used to support operations in Syria, was so short-lived).
- Assuming this is accurate reporting. Mohsen: “they quoted an unnamed Iranian official. Imo they’re leaking the options Iran has should the US insist on not lifting sanctions and Euros make no meaningful effort on their own. Discounts and loss of sovereignty are severe so it looks like a last resort and not finalized.“
- First Yang vs. Trump direct poll (in New Hampshire) – Yang does almost as well as Biden & ahead of the other Dems
- Military Watch: Ballistic Missile Submarines in the Chinese Navy; Developing a Second Stage Nuclear Deterrent – Part Two
- “The PLA has already begun development of the Type 96 Tang Class ballistic missile submarine, which is set to have capabilities comparable to the latest American and Russian warships. The warship will reportedly carry 24 JL-3 ballistic missiles, placing it among the most heavily armed submarines in the world.“
- *pdf* Hussain Ibrahim Qutrib: “Useful Syria” and Demographic Changes in Syria
- Apparently, Sunnis are barely a majority now in the parts of Syria controlled by Assad. Will be good for future stability.
- In a first for Beijing in Europe, Serbia to receive Chinese armed drones
- Asia Times: Huawei calls the US intel community’s bluff
- BCG: China’s Next Leap in Manufacturing
- Mike Johnson: What’s out there?
- Fred Reed: Unused Militaries
- Horowitz, Mark, William Yaworsky, and Kenneth Kickham. 2019. “Anthropology’s Science Wars: Insights from a New Survey.” Current Anthropology, September, 000–000.
- Emil Kirkegaard: “Even among a sample of anthropologists, we find 8-14% (BC4=genetic, BC10=Ashkenazim intelligence) who endorse genetic component to race/ethnic differences.“
- Nature: First hint that body’s ‘biological age’ can be reversed
- via Fight Aging
- Fahy, Gregory M., Robert T. Brooke, James P. Watson, Zinaida Good, Shreyas S. Vasanawala, Holden Maecker, Michael D. Leipold, David T. S. Lin, Michael S. Kobor, and Steve Horvath. 2019. “Reversal of Epigenetic Aging and Immunosenescent Trends in Humans.” Aging Cell, September, e13028.
- *comment* Thorfinnsson on impact of Lend-Lease in WW2
- /r/europe: Europe population map in 1848
- Peter Frost: Why is vocabulary shrinking?
- The grandmaster diet. Hmm… so chess *is* a sport after all.
- Verge: PewDiePie pulls $50,000 pledge to Jewish anti-hate group after fan backlash
- Moldbugman: “I’m about to share the sordid and twisted tale of Simon Mol: the African human rights and anti-racist who literally – LITERALLY – pozzed Poland’s leftists.”
- yakushimaru on Godfree Roberts’ Maophilia