It has been a while since I last had an Open Thread with proper links, so… this one is going to be big. And the next one is going to be pretty big as well.
Barring last minute changes, I will be touring the KrioRus cryonics facilities tomorrow. KrioRus is the Russian equivalent of Alcor, a company dedicated to freezing people after their death in the hope that medical technology will one day make revival possible. In the nearer term, I hope that this will make for one of my more interesting Travel posts.
Speaking of travel – in addition to my recent posts on London, Volokolamsk, Kolomna, I will also soon post my impressions of Bryansk, Veliky Novgorod, and Sergiev Posad (these are all written and ready to go). Incidentally, I found a website that ranks the livability of ~1,200 of Russia’s cities. It will be interesting to see how my impressions tally against theirs. Later this month, I also hope to compile a guide to Moscow based on my 2.5 years and counting of experience here. There is a slight chance I will do Crimea this summer (probably not, though) and a good chance I will do Austria/V4 and Serbia around October/November.
I am up to almost 5,000 followers on Twitter.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread with actual links.
- USG Unleashes Gamer Genocide on Iran
- Tech Elites Not Going to Allow A Fair Election in 2020
- Bitcoin Prediction
- Moscow Geek Picnic 2019
- Bolshevik Aristocide: The Fate of Sikorsky’s Engineers
- James Thompson on ISIR 2019
- Guillaume Durocher: Our Thriving Global Cities
- *powerful comment* Thulean Friend on Actual Individual Consumption (perhaps a better measure than GDP per capita)
- Guillaume Durocher: The SPLC of Antiquity: University Using Classics to Promote Left-Wing Agenda
- *as I keep saying* Paul Roast: “the coding, regardless of the coding rule, is not consistently applied — US allies tend to receive better scores [on freedom/democracy indices].“
- Ben Norton: NY Times admits it sends stories to US government for approval before publication
- *video* Introduction to the Qualia Research Institute
- Chris Weafer: Quiet evolution is better than noisy revolution. Weafer is one of the best Russia economy analysts.
- Interesting to note Russia’s MICEX has close to doubled relative to 2008.
- PyotrNemets review of Plokhy’s “The Gates of Europe: A History of Ukraine”
- Paul Robinson:
- *powerful comment* AP on new poll on Stalin’s popularity in Russia and Ukraine diverging. Sad development – but not that meaningful IMO. There is scant knowledge of the historical Jugashvili. Today’s Stalin is merely a figurehead for tribalistic signalling on both sides of the border.
- Sutton, David. 2019. “1 941 and the National-Patriotic Revival in Russia.” The Journal of Slavic Military Studies 32 (1): 70–92. [h/t Thorfinnsson]
- *powerful comment* Polish Perspective on Poland’s prospects
- FOX: Andrew Yang accuses NBC of turning off his mic during debate
- *powerful comment* AquariusAnon on Chinese living standards
- *powerful comment* Thorfinnsson on China’s Treasury holdings
- Peter Front: Stumbling into the future (on China’s fertility rates)
- T.Greer: “In 2012 the Communist Party of China forced cadres across the nation to watch a documentary on the collapse of the Soviet Union. Why did the Soviet Union fall, it asks? Answer: Because America subverted its ideology and culture“.
- Two Case Studies in Communist Insecurity. This notion that the CPC obsessively studies the Soviet collapse is something I have encountered before.
- Guillaume Durocher: Dark Days in France: Besieged Macron Regime Passing Legislation to Ban Free Speech on Social Media
- NYT: “A national suicide of the Palestinians’ current political and cultural ethos is precisely what is needed for peace, writes Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations“.
- Steve Dickinson: U.S. Bans Chinese Supercomputer Companies
- Reuters: Iran’s crude exports slide to 500,000 bpd or less
- Yaniv Erlich: “I wish this expose was in English. Israel secret service scavenges the state archives to eliminate any document on the ethnic cleansing of Arabs in 1948. Mindblowing part? They deliberately eliminate documents that were cited already in academic research to reduce its credibility“.
- Emil Kirkegaard: Machine learning psychometrics: Improved cognitive ability validity from supervised training on item level data
- Steve Sailer: The Wisdom of Spotted Toad
- Twenge, Jean M., W. Keith Campbell, and Ryne A. Sherman. 2019. “Declines in Vocabulary among American Adults within Levels of Educational Attainment, 1974–2016.” Intelligence 76 (September): 101377.
- I am hearing lots of good things about this turn.bio company in anti-ageing circles – here are some others.
- James Thompson: Origins of IQ Tests
- Navas González, Francisco Javier, Jordi Jordana Vidal, José Manuel León Jurado, Amy Katherine McLean, and Juan Vicente Delgado Bermejo. 2019. “Dumb or Smart Asses? Donkey’s Cognitive Capabilities (Equus Asinus) Share the Heritability and Variation Patterns of Human’s Cognitive Capabilities (Homo Sapiens).” Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research: Official Journal of: Australian Veterinary Behaviour Interest Group, International Working Dog Breeding Association, July.
- Ongaro, Linda, Marilia O. Scliar, Rodrigo Flores, Alessandro Raveane, Davide Marnetto, Stefania Sarno, Guido A. Gnecchi-Ruscone, et al. 2019. “The Genomic Impact of European Colonization of the Americas.”
- Pierre, Aude Saint, Joanna Giemza, Mathilde Karakachoff, Isabel Alves, Philippe Amouyel, Jean-Francois Dartigues, Christophe Tzourio, et al. 2019. “The Genetic History of France.”
- Turchin, Alexey, and Roman Yampolskiy. n.d. “‘Cheating Death in Damascus’ Solution to the Fermi Paradox.”
- Chen, Jiani, Yuqi Zou, Yue-Hua Sun, and Carel Ten Cate. 2019. “Problem-Solving Males Become More Attractive to Female Budgerigars.” Science 363 (6423): 166–67.
- Peter Brimelow: “East Is East and West Is West”: What The Hazony/Brog Heresy Hunt Says About July’s “National Conservative Conference”
- ZMAN: Report from the Gatekeeper’s Ball: Yoram Hazony Really Hates The Right; Zionist Attempt To Co-opt National Conservatism Will Fail.
- *powerful take* Nebal Maysaud: It’s Time To Let Classical Music Die
- “Classical Music is Inherently Racist”
- B.J. Murphy: Should Nazis, White Supremacists Be Resurrected in the Future?
- spandrell’s Bioleninism essays get translated into Russian at Vendee Magazine
- Antifa beats up journalist Andy Ngo in Portland.
- PEW: “Women are more likely than men (72% vs. 59%) to say social media companies have a responsibility to remove offensive content from their platforms.“