Open Thread 71
Search Text Case Sensitive Exact Words Include Comments
List of Bookmarks
The Ukrainian elections are coming up in a couple of weeks, so there’ll be a number of related posts in the next few days.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- Russia’s Uber Gets Better
- Tracking China’s Naval Power
- Mussolini Did Nothing Wrong
- The Terrorist Attack in New Zealand
- Dream of the Civic Chamber
- 7 Reasons Why #YangGang Is More Than Just A Meme
- Daniel Friedman: Why Elites Dislike Standardized Testing
- “Under pressure from both the academic left and wealthy parents, hundreds of colleges have become ‘test optional,’ allowing students to submit applications without test scores.“
- Ann Coulter: “Millionaires & celebrities “want to destroy the SAT because it is the only mechanism by which your kid can get into an elite college ahead of their kid.“
- AK: “Soviet Union abolished test scores for university admissions during the 1920s. With “former people” (Russian bourgeois, aristocrats) de facto barred, vast majority of students became Jews and prole activists.“
- Fred Weir: To make Russia great again, Putin is building roads and bridges
- How Russia sank billions of dollars into Venezuelan quicksand
- Insomniac Resurrected has been on a roll:
- “Putler Gained Crimea but lost Ukraine”
- “В Украине” Appears to be a Rather new Form (this would be the Russian language equivalent of the “Ukraine” vs. “the Ukraine” “debate”)
- Biletsky, the Leader of Azov, once said Ukraine Needs a Confederacy with Russia
- Guillaume Durocher: How to Win on Immigration: Italy’s Salvini Shows the Way
- Nancy Pelosi: “If America crumbled to the ground, the last thing that would remain is our support for #Israel.“
- CIA implicated in North Korea Embassy break-in in Madrid, Spain.
- RT: US announces more support for ‘heroic’ White Helmets in Syria
- It was nice for the ~one month that the freeze lasted.
- Why Brandon Adamson [altleft.com] supports Yang: “Since Amazon is banning books, and people are being banned from money making media platforms and payment processing services, I don’t really give a shit if these companies get forced to pay taxes and we get our money on the backend instead.“
Science & Culture
- Olalde, Iñigo, Swapan Mallick, Nick Patterson, Nadin Rohland, Vanessa Villalba-Mouco, Marina Silva, Katharina Dulias, et al. 2019. “The Genomic History of the Iberian Peninsula over the Past 8000 Years.” Science 363 (6432): 1230–34.
- Greg Cochran: “The chart above shows what happened when the Indo-Europeans show up. Autosomal steppe ancestry goes from zero to ~40%, but on the Y-chromosome, it goes from zero to 100% over a few hundred years. As quoted in the New York Times, archaeologists ruled out violence as a possible cause… They’re nuts. To those who like the notion that the Indo-Europeans triumphed because they carried in bubonic plague ( or some other pathogen) that blasted immunologically naive EEF farmers: find me a plague that only kills men – all of them.“
Humor & Powerful Takes
- *powerful comment* Beckow: “I have often thought that Hitler was a strange psycho character who was out of place in his time. He was a vegetarian, fanatically committed to recycling, with an ambiguous gender identity, no kids, and he really hated Russia. Today he would fit right in with the liberal progressives marching around and yelling about the coming end of the world and how Russia has to be destroyed. Timing in life is everything, today’s Hitler might chain himself to a power plant to stop global warming, storm a farm that ‘abuses’ animals, change his gender at will, and – of course – start a war with Russia.“
- Freek Vermeulen: Academics with lower research productivity (i.e. fewer publications and citations) are more likely to put “PhD”, “Dr.” or “Professor” in their e-mail signatures.
- Harmon-Jones, Cindy, Brandon J. Schmeichel, and Eddie Harmon-Jones. 2009. “Symbolic Self-Completion in Academia: Evidence from Department Web Pages and Email Signature Files.” European Journal of Social Psychology 39 (2): 311–16.
- Emil Kirkegaard: And all the women doctors we see here on Twitter. If you need to directly signal your credentials, it’s because you don’t have anything better.
- Josef Bosch: In 2015 @nytimes published his op-ed re: his stunning & brave decision to live as a woman. In 2019, now that he’s rightly determined that his transition was the result of untreated mental illness… surely they’ll publish a follow-up, right? Nope.
- Steve Stewart-Williams: When natural selection trumps sexual selection
- Scott Alexander: Gwern’s AI-Generated Poetry
- Powerful Website has promoted me to “Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation (G.R.U.) contractor.”