My very busy period has mostly come to an end so I should have more material soon.
One of the best blogs on the Ukraine a few years ago was The Austere Insomniac (even if at least one commenter here will beg to differ). Good news! It’s been resurrected: https://insomniacresurrected.com/
* Bolsonaro is now 90% likely to become Brazil Prez according to latest PredictIt numbers.
* Brian Winter: Who is Mr. Bolsonaro? (h/t Polish Perspective)
* Glenn Greenwald: The Stunning Rise of Brazil’s Far Right and What It Shows About Western Democracies. As in the West, it is centrist collapse that has opened up space for the far right.
* New IPCC report: World heading for 3C of warming. All the usual wailing and gnashing of teeth… but 3C is pretty much the sweet spot for maximizing the planet’s primary productivity.
* Rod Dreher: Prelude To A New Civil War?
* Psychology Today: “She has her fox’s laugh“. Commenter AP suggests that domesticated Russian foxes should get the same protections that dogs do.
* Bloomberg: Massive Chinese hack of US tech using compromised chips. But what about muh Russian hackers?
* The ADL has finally noticed Ron Unz’s American Pravda.
* Leonid Bershidsky: 38D Chess? Russia’s clumsy Brit-baiting might be clever plan to cajole Russians to repatriate their offshore money. In that sense, GRU incompetence may not mean that much.
* First victim of British laws on confiscating dodgy wealth? An Azeri woman who spent $20 million at Harrods, who just happens to be the wife of an Azeri banker who fell out with the West-friendly Aliyev regime. It pays to be cynical about these things. The Tories are far too invested in London’s high end real estate market to jeopardize their global clients, however much Putin wants to cajole them into it.
* Ajay Goyal: Is Moscow the best major city in Europe? This Indian expat thinks yes. (Goyal is an Indian who is well-known in Moscow expat circles).
* WSJ: Melting ice is opening up the Arctic Ocean to shipping. But lack of infrastructure impedes full exploitation. Tropical Hyperborea slightly delayed.
* New KIIS poll: Ukrainian approval of Russia reaches 48%, the highest it has been since 2014 (disapproval: 32%), though far lower than the 80%+ before that. Russian approval of the Ukraine remains at 33%.
* NORTHERN GABON. Measles rages in the Ukraine (33,000 infected this year). But not a problem in Russia or Belorussia. What’s the matter with these Ukrainians?
* Huge ammo dump exploded in the Ukraine. Ukrs predictably blame their God (Putin)… but it’s basically a yearly occurrence in the Ukraine (and in Russia until several years ago). Smoking, drinking, and gunpowder don’t mix well.
* Vzglyad: Kiev preparing to topple Alexander Suvorov monument [in Russian]. As I said, these people don’t stop at Lenin monuments. That is why I always say that svidomy is a subset of sovok. Bolshevism in a vyshyvanka.
* Outgoing warhawk US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley is a “moderate”… according to the NYT
* QZ: British wargaming cyberattacks to black out Moscow if Russia attacks Estonia or “takes control of Libya’s oil reserves”… okay, first one is logical enough, but the second – hilarious thing is, both the US and Russia support the same guy in Libya.
* BLAST FROM THE PAST. So about Jamal Khashoggi… CNN last year: Saudi Arabia’s MBS got classified US info on disloyal royals from Kushner, boasted Trump’s son-in-law was “in his pocket”. I’m sure he’s safe.
* Guillaume Durocher: Victory, Italian-Style. This “red-brown” alliance is surprisingly successful… alt left answers for economy, alt right handles foreign policy, the globalists get stumped.
* Marine Le Pen and Caesar Salvini distance themselves from Sloppy Steve.
* Greece wants $280 billion in gibsmedats WW2 reparations from Germany.
* Audacious Epigone: Support for affirmative action by race
* Facebook and Twitter have recently deplatformed hundreds of political pages.
* Politico: Trump is literally triggering libs into insanity lol.
Science & Culture
* Marginal Revolution: Improving But Not Learning by Doing. Technological improvements can happen without increased understanding – “theory” sometimes even slows progress down.
* Boston Dynamic’s Atlas robot does parkour:
* Emil Kirkegaard: On the East Asian > White advantage on scholastic tests
* OWN GOAL. Toby Young: “This article in the @guardian correctly points out that polygenic risk scores for medical problems are based on genomic data compiled from predominantly European-descended populations. That means you cannot use these data to calculate polygenic risk scores for medical problems for people of non-European descent and that, in turn, means the beneficiaries of the preventative medical interventions based on these scores will be of European descent. The article quotes a letter Professor David Curtis, a geneticist and psychiatrist at UCL, wrote to the leaders of the Medical Research Council and the Wellcome Trust saying that “UK medical science stands at risk of being accused of being institutionally racist”. What Professor Curtis (and Hannah Devlin, the @Guardian’s science correspondent) neglect to mention is that one reason there isn’t more genomic data on non-European populations is that social science activists campaigned against amassing such data 20 years ago. See bottom of page 531 in this essay by Jeremy Freese.”
* Google shuts down Google+… I suppose the 200 people who use it will not be happy. (Unfortunately, that includes gwern).
* BBC: ‘Quantum physics really helped me understand my queer identity.’ This is what your TV loicence pays for.
* This new NPC meme is great.
If you don’t get this one, you can’t call yourself a Russia expert.
* Anton Shekhovtsov’s (expert on NEO-NAZISM and RUSSIAN ACTIVE MEASURES) powerful – as in Putler God of the Khokhols – take on Ukraine vs. Hungary conflict.