My Romania post will hopefully be up in a few days.
In the meantime, I’ll share my impressions of the Sukhoi Superjet 100, which I flew for the first time on the way back from Bucharest.
Overall impressions: Meh. As densely packed as any Airbus, and way more vibrations and creaking sounds than the average flight (though I suppose I can’t extrapolate too much from n=1 flights). My favorite plane by far remains the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which at least on Norwegian Airlines comes packed with individual monitors for entertainment and ordering food and drinks, and has free WiFi on many of its flights (and this was a couple of years ago). The Superjet 100 didn’t even have sockets to charge your cell phone or laptop with, which I consider to be a disgraceful omission in this day and age.
The next Kholmogorov translation from Fluctuarius Argenteus is going to be this one: Николай II становится для нас анти-Сталиным (“Nicholas II is becoming an anti-Stalin for us”).
* Trump. Canada. Kim meeting. Etc. I gather nothing very interesting happened.
* Syria will probably start cleaning up Daraa in a matter of days. As I understand it, the Israelis are cool with it, so long as the Iranians aren’t involved.
* All football discussions go here.
* James Thompson: Who are the IQ experts?
I do wonder how the rankings would have changed since 2013 – probably not in my favor, since I have started writing much less about HBD/IQ stuff (in fairness, so has Sailer).
* Police search the apartment of a guy involved in the Dissernet project to detect plagiarism (of which at least 1/9 Duma deputies are guilty of). He might be charged under Article 282 (extremism).
This is great news, helping discredit that law even further.
* Another big corruption investigation [in Russian] from Navalny about Gazprom, based on the fired Sberbank analyst’s report.
* Sane nationalities/language policy:
C. 90% Chinese are of Han ethnicity but in 2000 only 50 % spoke Mandarin. Government aim is to raise that to 80% by 2020, whilst under Xi also recognizing China’s linguistic diversity that rivals that of Europe. Common written language is huge advantage! https://t.co/g6nvVrneBg pic.twitter.com/uA0b5NW1So
— Adam Tooze (@adam_tooze) June 10, 2018
Science & Culture
* Bernt Bratsberg & Ole Rogeberg (2018) – Flynn effect and its reversal are both environmentally caused (summary via James Thompson)
* Emil Kirkegaard & Bryan Pesta (2018) – An S Factor Analysis on the Provinces of Vietnam: Relationships with Cognitive Ability, Ethnicity, and Latitude
* Angela Nagle, who wrote Kill All Normies, is a plagiarist.
* Einstein was waycist.
* Taleb goes full #frogtwitter:
Point is; if you're not Med, you'll never understand the Mediterranean. You can spend 31 y in Oxford reading "classics", all that sh*t, & still understand nothing about the Mediterranean.
Now, if you're not Med, the closest you'll ever get is via squid ink & Moustaki.
— Nassim Nicholas Taleb (@nntaleb) June 8, 2018
* This entire thread, with me providing several of them: https://www.unz.com/akarlin/stalin-is-not-great/