* James Thompson: Men 4 Points Ahead?
Latest issue of Mankind Quarterly entirely devoted to male/female differences in IQ.
* I contributed some radical policy suggestions to Hank Pellissier’s new Transhumanist Party.
* Greg Cochran: Biopolitics
I have said before that no currently popular ideology acknowledges well-established results of behavioral genetics, quantitative genetics, or psychometrics. Or evolutionary psychology.
What if some ideology or political tradition did? what could they do? What problems could they solve, what capabilities would they have?
* On that topic, should you wait to have children for embryo selection for intelligence to come online? Gwern has what is probably the most comprehensive analysis.
* Emil Kirkegaard unearths William Shockley’s 1980 interview with Playboy.
* Slate Star Codex demographics by their results on trust (lower numbers = think people can be trusted):
Social democratic: 2.38
* Keywood, Thomas, and Jörg Baten – 2017 – Long Run Determinants of European Violence, AD 500–1900 (via @whyvert)
* John G. Sotos – 2007 – Biotechnology and the lifetime of technical civilizations (h/t JL)
The number of people able to end Earth’s technical civilization has heretofore been small. Emerging dual-use technologies, such as biotechnology, may give similar power to thousands or millions of individuals… Using empiric data from Pubmed to inform the biotechnology parameter, the model predicts human civilization’s median survival time as decades to centuries, even with optimistic psychosociological parameter values, thereby positioning biotechnology as a proximate threat to human civilization. For an ensemble of civilizations having some median calculated survival time, the model predicts that, after 80 times that duration, only one in 10^24 civilizations will survive — a tempo and degree of winnowing compatible with Hanson’s “Great Filter.” Thus, assuming that civilizations universally develop advanced biotechnology, before they become vigorous interstellar colonizers, the model provides a resolution to the Fermi paradox.
* Alexander Mercouris: 7 points which expose Western governments’ hypocrisy on the issue of Catalan independence
* Zeit has a dense, infographics-heavy breakdown of the German elections.
The most critical and reliably depressing graph:
But apparently lots of Alt Righters don’t see that as a problem, at least according to the replies to my Twitter post about this, which I suppose demonstrates the point.
Incidentally, according to other sources, around 40% of German journalists vote for the Green. The liberal slant of the media seems to be common to the entirety of Euro-America.
* Russian inflation is down to 2.8%. This is an all time post-Soviet minimum.
* Leonid Bershidsky: Putin Wants to Run Russia Like a Corporation
Although Bershidsky is inevitably pessimistic, it has to be said that there have been major improvements since the 2000s, when the government was indeed heavily riddled with (political-economic) “clans.” Since Putin’s re-election in 2012, the numbers of high-level government figures that could be identified as belonging to a distinct clan fell into a minority, and this appears to be a genuine further step in the direction of technocracy.
* Timothy Frye: Russian Studies is Thriving, not Dying
* Paul Robinson: Russia fails to remember Stalin’s victims [… not].
I dislike the Stalin cult as much as anyone, but it is simple factually incorrect to argue that it is sustained by state propaganda.
* For Russian readers: Interview with Benes Ayo, a Black National-Bolshevik fighting for the DNR in Donbass.
* Powerful take. Also I wish the NRA would “destroy” Russia more just as I wish to live in Starr’s Putlerreich.
* Radical fascist Nazi terrorist HBD-aware anti-racist pro-Russian commie is blocked by Putler’s Roskomnadzor.
Mass shooters in the U.S. by race, 1982-2017:
Native American 3%
Overall U.S. racial demographics in 2000 (~midpoint of range):
Native American 1%
Some interesting stuff, even if it does come from Buzzfeed. For instance, Steve Bannon comes off as an… enthusiastic fellow:
That afternoon, Bannon emailed Yiannopoulos and Marlow.
“Dude—we r in a global existentialist war where our enemy EXISTS in social media and u r jerking yourself off w/ marginalia!!!! U should be OWNING this conversation because u r everything they hate!!! Drop your toys, pick up your tools and go help save western civilization.”
That Milo is more Röhm than he let’s on wasn’t a huge surprise to me. An acquaintance with much closer connections to the “scene” told me about this within the past year, but it’s interesting to see it confirmed nonetheless.
Nor could they have known about the night of April 2, 2016, which Yiannopoulos spent at the One Nostalgia Tavern in Dallas, belting out a karaoke rendition of “America the Beautiful” in front of a crowd of “sieg heil”-ing admirers, including Richard Spencer. …
In an April 6 email, Allum Bokhari mentioned having had access to an account of Yiannopoulos’s with “a password that began with the word Kristall.” … In a June 2016 email to an assistant, Yiannopoulos shared the password to his email, which began “LongKnives1290.” … 1290 is the year King Edward I expelled the Jews from England.
And also Peter Thiel is “fully enlightened.”
Yiannopoulos also had a private relationship with the venture capitalist Peter Thiel, though he was more circumspect than some other correspondents… But much of Yiannopoulos’s knowledge of Thiel seemed to come secondhand from other right-wing activists, as well as Curtis Yarvin, the blogger who advocates the return of feudalism. In an email exchange shortly after the election, Yarvin told Yiannopoulos that he had been “coaching Thiel.”
“Peter needs guidance on politics for sure,” Yiannopoulos responded.
“Less than you might think!” Yarvin wrote back. “I watched the election at his house, I think my hangover lasted into Tuesday. He’s fully enlightened, just plays it very carefully.”
* Bannon reportedly said that he thinks there is only a 30% chance of Trump finishing out his term.
* Radical commies are infiltrating the US military.
* Philip Giraldi: How I Got Fired: Exposing Jewish power in America has real consequences
* Lawrence G. Proulx: Living Under the French Hate Speech Laws
* Jim McLaughlin and Rob Schmidt: National Undergraduate Study
* Atlantic: America’s Many Divides Over Free Speech
Clearly obssessed with the topic and overdoes the theme, but still, there’s a distinct pattern out there. Very curious.
* @Evolving_Moloch thread on the anti-poor characteristics of medieval warfare:
Florence against Pisa, 1406. Utterly brutal… excerpts are from 'Furies' by Lauro Martines. pic.twitter.com/QMrVsFRMul
— Will (@Evolving_Moloch) June 6, 2017
* Timo Hännikäinen: The Untold Victors: The Spanish Civil War as History Not Propaganda
Franco placed much greater reliance on the Moroccan soldiers who formed by far the largest number of volunteers, a total of about 78,000 men… The Nationalists appealed to the Moroccans by implying that their country would be granted independence after the Republican government was overthrown, but there was little intention of keeping such promises. The Moroccans swallowed the bait and enlisted in large numbers to Franco’s army… The Moroccans played a vita role in the initial phase of the war: the Nationalists would have been unable to continue their attack in Spain without Moroccans troops flown over from the protectorate. The motives of the volunteers were manifold… Moroccan troops, “los moros,” quickly got a bad reputation. It was said that they systematically raped Republican women and tortured prisoners of war…
Republican propaganda made the most of the real and imaginary atrocities of “the Moors.” In propaganda posters Moroccans were depicted as grinning, thick-lipped turbanheads, who harassed white women and pierced children with their bayonets. Republican journalists and authors wrote of “brutal Africans with knives in their teeth,” and accused Franco of bringing “African savages to a European civil war.” The Left of the 1930’s clearly didn’t embrace the current type of political correctness.