* @BirthGauge with new table of preliminary TFR estimates for first few months of this year. Germany will have a higher TFR than the US for the first time in more than a century this year. Lyman Stone on what explains Czechia becoming what will probably be the highest TFR developed country (apart from Israel) in 2021. Mark Steyn on suicide watch.
* Von Stumm, S., & Plomin, R. (2021). Using DNA to predict intelligence. Intelligence, 86, 101530.
* MAGIC SOIL. Bukowski, P., Clark, G., Gáspár, A., & Peto, R. (2021). Social mobility and political regimes: intergenerational mobility in Hungary, 1949-2017. 67, 81 (h/t @devarbol). The elites of 18C Hungary largely preserved their positions under 20C Communist Hungary.
Guirkinger, C., Aldashev, G., Aldashev, A., & Fodor, M. (2020). Economic Persistence despite Adverse Policies: Evidence from Kyrgyzstan (No. 2020-39). ULB — Universite Libre de Bruxelles. https://ideas.repec.org/p/eca/wpaper/2013-312572.html (h/t @whyvert). Finds the same thing even for Kyrgyzstan: Richer and more powerful tribes had greater representation in 1970s Soviet elite.
* XENOS. Avi Loev – A Possible Link between ‘Oumuamua and Unidentified Aerial Phenomena
* 2,034 nearby star-systems that could find Earth by observing it crossing the Sun.
* I did say Wokeism is literally White Supremacy… here is a another anecdote to that effect.
* Dark Fish. They apparently account for at least 50% of fish biomass.
With gas prices low, I recommend content creators/brand owners to snap up an .eth domain. They are cheap but could become quite important come Web 3.0. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
* UKRAINE. Ukraine using $2B of its meager resources to buy British warships and kneeling for the honor… well, I suppose the UK’s provocation of Russia by sailing its destroyer through Crimean waters was not so surprising. The “lost” documents about that were obviously a leak. Meanwhile, China also forces Ukraine to kneel by (allegedly) threatening vaccine supplies if Kiev had insisted on keeping its name on the list of states condemning its actions in Xinjiang.
Israel proved more faithful to the US, though. Hanania: “US loves Muslim rights so much, it pressures Israel to criticize China. Because that’s where Israel can make a difference in giving Muslims rights, in Xinjiang.”