This week’s Open Thread.
(1) Vitalik Buterin – Prediction Markets: Tales from the Election. Best explanation of why predictions markets were giving Trump 10% well after it was clear it was <1%.
(3) Scott Alexander reviews a biography of Recep Erdogan. Important to understand
(4) Glenn Greenwald got violently robbed in Brazil and only mentioned it a couple of weeks later. Meanwhile, Blue Checkmark hacks whine about being subjected to violence for being criticized on Twitter.
Greenwald is becoming increasingly based in general.
(5) Robert Stark is now blogging at Substack. Latest: An Alternative Vision for California.
(6) Peter Frost – Recent cognitive evolution in West Africa. The Mende of Sierra Leone show much lower polygenic IQ scores than the Yoruba of Nigeria (who score almost as high as African-Americans). Unfortunately, no data on Igbo.
Not too surprised about this. The Benin metalwork I saw at the British Museum was quite respectable.
(7) Russia Warns of Anti-White ‘Aggression’ in U.S. Good troll.
(8) RT: Armenia’s hapless PM Pashinyan to resign
(9) Paul Robinson on Western propaganda vs. Russian vaccines while accusing Russia of promoting anti-vaxx sentiment.
(10) /r/slatestarcodex on superiority of bullet points over prose. I sympathize with this.
(12) Roko on why rationalists (largely) failed to foresee crypto.
(14) Razib Khan – Enter Stepplandia