The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1998 Issue - 23 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Julia's Choice... Designing for Polygamy... Auditing the IRS... When the Royalton Wasn'...
- A Fast-Track Reality Check, pp. 8-9
The not-so-nifty side of NAFTA.
- Meet the (Black) Press, pp. 10-12
What black newspapers can teach the mainstream media--and what they can learn from them.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 13
- Capitol Hill's Longest-Running Outrage, pp. 14-18
How Congress lets the mining industry shaft the taxpayers.
- It's the Exam That Fails, pp. 19-21
How the INS citizenship test misses the point.
- Mama, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Regulators, pp. 22-25
But if they do--10 survival tips.
- Who's Who, pp. 26-27
- Amazing Grace, pp. 28-31
Can churches save the inner city?
- Is Locking 'em Up the Answer?, pp. 32-33
For violent criminals probably--for the rest, it's not so clear.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 34
- Reporting From the Trenches, pp. 35-39
Welfare reform is one area where the press has looked beyond the spin to where the rubb...
Art & Politics
- Living Off The Fat of the Land, pp. 40-42
The only people benefiting from diet books are the authors.
- Memo of the Month, p. 43
On Political Books: Straight Talk on Race
[+] Affirmative action should not be a black-and-white issue. (Review) , pp. 44-47
Reaching Beyond Race, by Paul M. Sniderman and Edward G. Carmines
- Reaching Beyond Race by Paul M. Sniderman and Edward G. Carmines
[+] The part of the Rodney King tape America didn't see. (Review) , pp. 48-49
Official Negligence, by Lou Cannon
- Official Negligence by Lou Cannon
[+] The Last True Populist (Review) , pp. 50-52
A close-up look at exactly who's screwing whom in America.
- There's Nothing in the Middle of the Road but Yellow Stripes and Dead Armadillos by Jim Hightower
The Dark Side of a Fairy Tale
[+] --- by Sandra McElwaine (Review) , pp. 53-54
- No Regrets by Caroline Seebohm
[+] Review The Grand Chessboard, by Zbigniew K. Brzezinski (Review) , p. 55
- The Grand Chessboard by Zbigniew K. Brzezinski
[+] War Stories (Review) , pp. 56-57
The Soldiers' Tale, by Samuel Lynn Hynes
- The Soldiers' Tale by Samuel Lynn Hynes
[+] Siamese Twins (Review) , pp. 58-60
Governing With the News, by Timothy E. Cook
- Governing With the News by Timothy E. Cook
- Cover Art