Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1993 Issue - 18 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-8
The rich's new tennis racket... Cardiologists on the Lido deck... Clinton's favorite ja...
- P. C. Corps, pp. 9-11
Clinton's national service prototype was largely a poverty program disguised as a sensi...
- Renter Beware, pp. 12-15
The $300 TV that ends up costing $1,200, and other ripoffs of the rent-to-own industry.
- Who's Who, p. 16
- The Money Fix, pp. 17-20
The Democrats' plan to clean up campaigns won't make politicians kick the Big Dollar ha...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 21
- Why the Party of the People Has a Grassroots Problem, pp. 22-28
... And how to solve it.
- Political Puzzle, p. 29
- Beyond Paper Cuts, pp. 30-34
Eight smart ways to cut the budget--and make smart investments.
- Memo of the Month, p. 35
- Beaten and Bushed, pp. 36-44
The black comedy of a White House on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 45
On Political Books
[+] The Wins of War (Review) , pp. 46-49
Could something shy of war bring Americans together and turn the economy around?
- A Democracy at War by William L. O'Neill
[+] With Enemies Like These (Review) , pp. 50-53
Pentagon reformers were the scourge of the military in the eighties, but guess whose we...
- The Pentagon Wars by James G. Burton
[+] Mistaken Identity (Review) , pp. 54-57
A former staffer for Jim Garrison explains how Oliver Stone got the wrong villain--and ...
- Case Closed by Gerald Posner
[+] Political Booknotes (Review) , pp. 58-62
Review by Charles William Maynes.
- The Arabists by Robert D. Kaplan
- Cover illustration