Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
June 1990 Issue - 17 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
Bad bets... mistaken medals... And other odds and ends... .
- Besieged and Beleaguered on $200,000 a Year, pp. 10-13
Why the rich feel sorry for themselves. How to make them feel compassion instead.
- Muddying the Waters, pp. 14-18
The Years of Martin Luther King by Robert A. Caro.
- Who's Who, pp. 19-20
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 21
- Mission Improbable, pp. 22-32
Why--10 years after Desert One--America still isn't ready to fight the war on terrorism.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 33
- Let Them Eat Honey-Roasted Peanuts, p. 34
If you thought the World Bank spent most of its energy fighting poverty in the Third Wo...
- Memo of the Month, pp. 34-37
- How to Cut the Bureaucracy in Half, pp. 38-50
Understanding Slot Syndrome, Headless Nails, Meeting Mania, and other government gimmicks.
- The Worst City Government, p. 51
On Political Books
[+] The Phillips Curve (Review) , pp. 52-55
Is there an emerging populist majority?
- The Politics of Rich and Poor by Kevin P. Phillips
- Political Puzzle, p. 56
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , p. 57
[+] Review Washington Rollercoaster, by Sondra Goilieb (Review) , p. 57
- Washington Rollercoaster by Sondra Goilieb
[+] Review Preferential Policies, by Thomas Sowell (Review) , pp. 58-59
- Preferential Policies by Thomas Sowell
[+] Review Pundits, Poets, and Wits, by Karl E. Meyer (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Pundits, Poets, and Wits by Karl E. Meyer