Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1987 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-12
Beware of young dentists... Oklahoma's naval base... making Jello for the networks... a...
- The Sinking of a Supercarrier, pp. 13-18
A bedtime story for John Lehman.
- Elliott Abrams: The Teflon Assistant Secretary, pp. 19-27
He hasn't always been this far to the right, but his enemy has always been the left.
- Who's Who, pp. 28-30
- The Dark Secret of the Black Budget, pp. 31-33
By making $35 billion in defense programs invisible, the Pentagon is hurting national s...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 34-35
- Political Puzzle, p. 36
- Battered Justice, pp. 37-45
Everyone knows women are beaten. Why won't the police, prosecutors, and judges do anyth...
- Memo of the Month, p. 46
On Political Books
[+] The Kennedy Hustle (Review) , pp. 47-48
How the Kennedys became America's royal family.
- The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys by Doris Kearns Goodwin
[+] Zen and the Art of Cultural Misappropriation (Review) , pp. 49-51
Learning the right lessons of Japanese schools.
- The Japanese Educational Challenge by Merry White
[+] The Burger Court: Bad, But Not That Bad (Review) , pp. 52-54
And the Warren Court was good, but not that good.
- The Burger Years by Herman Schwartz
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 55-56
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 57
[+] Review Fast Forward, by James Lardner (Review) , p. 57
- Fast Forward by James Lardner
[+] Review Work, Health, and Income Among the Elderly, by... (Review) , p. 58
- Work, Health, and Income Among the Elderly by Gary Burtless
[+] Review Mission to Tehran, by Robert Huyser (Review) , p. 59
- Mission to Tehran by Robert Huyser
[+] Review Making Public Policy, by Steven Kelman (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Making Public Policy by Steven Kelman