Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1987 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-12
Nuclear depth charges... terrorists in the parking lot... Meg Greenfield's secret fear....
- Enterprise and Double Cross, pp. 13-19
At the heart of America's industrial decline is a culture of mistrust
- Who's Who, p. 20
- Nice PAC You've Got Here... A Pity if Anything Should Happen to It, pp. 21-24
How the politicians shake down the special interests.
- Faith, Hope, and Chicanery, pp. 25-31
Want to do some good? Ask your favorite charity where it spends its money.
- Political Puzzle, p. 32
The Smart Shopper's Guide to the Pentagon
- Sack Weinberger, Bankrupt General Dynamics, and Other Procurement Reforms, pp. 33-42
The president's own commission admits the Pentagon wastes billions on bad weapons. Here...
- Memo of the Month, pp. 43-46
- The Case for the $435 Hammer, pp. 47-50
The scandal that wasn't.
- Nuts, Bolts, and Death, pp. 51-53
The fatal costs of readiness cuts.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 54
On Political Books
[+] Hookers, Jaguars, and Lots of Stupid Loans (Review) , pp. 55-56
Making it in international banking.
- Selling Money by S.C. Gwynne
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 57
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review Worldly Power, by Edward Scharff (Review) , p. 58
- Worldly Power by Edward Scharff
[+] Review Shadows and Whispers, by Dusko Doder (Review) , p. 58
- Shadows and Whispers by Dusko Doder
[+] Review The Reckoning, by David Halberstam (Review) , p. 59
- The Reckoning by David Halberstam
[+] Review Reel Power, by Mark Litwak (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Reel Power by Mark Litwak