The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1985 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-12
Greedy eye doctors... doggie health spas... phony FAA tests... and other odds and ends....
- Valley of the Duds: Inside Hollywood's Bad Movie Machine, pp. 13-21
Entrepreneurship runs amok in Tinseltown.
- Why Gary Hart Lost, pp. 22-28
The key events in the decline and fall of the candidate with "new ideas."
- Memo of the Month, pp. 29-31
- Political Puzzle, pp. 32-34
- The Right Stuff In the Wrong Place, pp. 35-37
An eyewitness account of Chuck Yeager's crash landing in Pakistan.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 38-42
- The Navy's Plane Stupidity, p. 43
Six hundred dollars for an ashtray is bad enough, but why is anyone smoking anyway?
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 43-44
- The 99% Fallacy, pp. 45-47
A Marine nuclear targeting officer says Star Wars can't do the job.
- Victims, p. 48
A dispatch from the frontier of modern fiction.
- Who's Who, pp. 49-50
- Is Anybody Out There Watching: Charlie Wick's Latest Flop, pp. 51-54
The USIA tries an end run around European journalists.
[+] Political Booknotes (6 Reviews) , p. 55
[+] Review The News at Any Cost, by Tom Goldstein (Review) , p. 55
- The News at Any Cost by Tom Goldstein
[+] Review New Deals, by Robert B. Reich and John D. Donahue (Review) , pp. 56-57
- New Deals by Robert B. Reich and John D. Donahue
[+] Review The Politics of the American Civil Liberties U... (Review) , p. 58
- The Politics of the American Civil Liberties Union by William A. Donohue
[+] Review Decline and Fail, by Peter Stoler (Review) , p. 58
- Decline and Fail by Peter Stoler
[+] Review Uncovering the Sixties, by Abe Peck (Review) , p. 59
- Uncovering the Sixties by Abe Peck
[+] Review Hawks, Doves, and Owls, by Graham T. Allison, ... (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Hawks, Doves, and Owls by Graham T. Allison, Joseph S. Nye, Jr., and Albert Carnesale, ...