The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
February 1973 Issue - 14 Articles
- In Praise of the Property Tax, pp. 2-6
A few words on behalf of a muchmaligned system. With minor repair it could be our most ...
- Peril of the Month: Gas Supertankers, pp. 7-12
Shipments of natural gas may replace oil slicks with a sea of flames. How to solve the ...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 13
- So Hard to Remember, So Easy to Forget, pp. 14-22
Institutional amnesia is a chronic problem of government. With so many papers to shuffl...
- The First Four Years, pp. 23-25
From the editors.
- DIA: Intelligence to Please, pp. 26-29
Were we "winning" or "losing" in Vietnam? How the Defense Intelligence Agency tailored ...
- The Prince and His Courtiers: At the White House, the Kremlin, and the Reichschancellery, pp. 30-39
Are we our master's keeper?
- Memo of the Month, p. 40
- America the Featherbedded, pp. 41-43
We grow up wanting interesting, useful, and human work. Too many of us get a phony job ...
- We're All Working For the Penn Central, pp. 44-51
A journey through life at the government's frontier, starring SOHA, DETMAHOG, and other...
- Let Those Hillbillies Go Get Shot, pp. 52-58
The anti-war movement never made the connection between its privileged immunity to the ...
- The Burn Ward, pp. 59-69
- The Political Puzzle, p. 70
[+] Political Book Notes (11 Reviews) , pp. 71-74
American Military Commitments Abroad, by Roland A. Paul
- American Military Commitments Abroad by Roland A. Paul
- Bureaucracy and the Public by Elihu Katz
- The Corrupt Kingdom by Joseph E. Finley
- Impeachment: The Constitutional Problems by Raoul Berger
- Investigating the FBI by Pat Watters and Stephen Gillers
- Juror Number Four by Edwin Kennebeck
- Life Insurance by Joseph M. Belth
- A Long View from the Left by Al Richmond
- Places for Learning, Places for Joy by Theodore R. Sizer
- Uncle Tom's Campus by Ann Jones
- The Uprooted by Oscar Handlin